This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Achieving ATP

Started by Adam Homolya, September 7, 2016 · 4 Replies · 204 Views

Adam Homolya

I am having difficulty attaining APT as necessary for example in the pencake and basic gymnastics exercises. I feel this is my biggest block and want to resolve it as a priority. What exercises would target this specifically that i could do more often to speed things up? I have done all the stretch courses a couple of times already (having just started) but i couldnt feel any stretch in the hip area to indicate i am doing the right thing. I can sit in a chair and arch lower back by tilting forward the hip but the moment i straighten my legs out in front of me (still in the chair) i really struggle aand have a rounded lower back. Makes me think its the hamstrings and glutes thats tight but i am not sure if handling only those will resolve this issue or if i should do more?

Jon Douglas

Hi Adam,

Do what's necessary to reach a position of APT and gradually move it towards the pancake position. If at first you're on a chair with your feet on cushions to elevate them, so be it, it is a place to start. It should improve fairly rapidly once you get it just right, but consistency is what will get it there.

Further exercises for apt/ppt are included as integrated mobility elements in Handstand 1. I'd also (during warmup) look at including some pancake roll throughs from this series 

Patrick Rentz

Jon, I'm a bit confused about some of the advice on the pancake stretches. Should we first and foremost keep a flat back/APT and adjust our position accordingly (e.g. on blocks/box/bench)? Right now I'm on one yoga block and using a strap, but there is quite a bit of rounding in my back (and I feel the stretch where I think I should - in the adductors and back of knee). I remember asking a question if this might be a source of some small lower back issues I've been having, and I remember Coach Sommer reiterating the lumbar is meant to bend a bit - and have I been training my J Curls?

 

Coach Sommer

Hello Gentlemen,

Jon's advice is spot on.  Note that if one block is insufficient elevation to achieve a comfortable degree of APT than use two to three blocks.  

If two to three blocks are insufficient, then use a foot stool.  If a foot stool is insufficient, then use a bar stool.  Etc. Etc.

Note also that different mobility elements target different areas.  Hence while lumbar flexion is appropriate for jefferson curl work, it is inappropriate for pancake work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adam Homolya

Thank you, all of this was good and answered my questions! I'll do as recommended.