This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rotation of Torso

Started by Lucy Flynn, September 7, 2016 · 5 Replies · 129 Views

Lucy Flynn

I have trouble with full ROM on this movement, but I do not feel it at all in my obliques--no stretch there.  It feels like there is a lot more limitation and tightness in my mid-thoracic spine area--and a combined slight pulling from my various back muscles. Is this typical? I don't feel much stretch in obliques either when I do the other oblique floor exercise, I have no trouble with full ROM there, some slight tightness in shoulders, but I can keep them down and get knees to the floor. Any thoughts on this? Any recs for more stretching to get better spinal rotation in that area? I already foam roll quite a bit, but don't do a lot of rotation work other than occasional weighted gentle twists as part of the end of a work out. Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Well Lucy, limitation are very subjective , it is like a pancake, some people feel it in the hamstring, other in the inner knees. rotation it is more concerned with deep fascia of middle back, while side bending it is more concerned with obliques and quadratus lomborum. Do not be too much worried about where you feel the stretch, addressing personal limitation and discovering them it is the cue of the course.

Dan Bensky

I am not able to get both hands on wall if I don't twist my feet. Should I twist them to get in position or keep them parallel and not really push against the wall? Also even with the modification of keeping my feet on the floor for the lying down oblique exercise I had some minor lumbar spine discomfort and a click. Is there something that I am not doing correctly that would cause that? If so, please let me know; otherwise I will skip this particular exercise for not.

Alessandro Mainente

PLease guys when you have personal limitation you have to post a video so that we can easily understand the limitation.

Kent Heide

I have the same problem with the first exercise. The only place I feel anything while trying to turn around and face the wall is in my back - mid-thoraic area. Absolutely nothing else where. Might have to do with my slight kyfosis. 

Alessandro Mainente

You are feeling the correct region, long fascia across the body are the limiting factor here.