This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder pain

Started by Ryan Van Fleet, September 6, 2016 · 9 Replies · 248 Views

Ryan Van Fleet

Hi,

Last Saturday I finished a full 60 minutes of Foundation one.  Sunday my muscles were very sore, but no real pain.  Sunday night I woke up in extreme pain in my shoulder and my motion was limited.  I've never had a problem with this shoulder, but the shoulder felt locked. I had to sleep sitting in a reclining chair to keep the arm in a comfortable position. As the day went on I regained full motion in the shoulder, but an underlying pain remained.  Monday night gave me a similar issue.

 

The good news is this week is a deload week. I know I shouldn't do any exercising, but I was wondering if maybe continuing to do the daily limber would help.  

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

I highly recommend seeing a physio about this. Avoid causing any more pain. Deload week is the perfect time to get this diagnosed!

Ryan Van Fleet

@Everett Carroll You are probably right. I should see a physiotherapist, but in the past all they've ever done was through me in a sling and give me some Percocets.  Granted I need to re-up on the Percs.

 

Anyway, I just did the daily limber and things went pretty good. The pain I find is when I do Shoulder extensions (hand lifting behind my back). I've always had a really tight chest that has killed this mobility

Everett Carroll

It is likely you're overdoing it with the shoulder extension but this type of stuff is more within the scope of @Wesley Tan and @Mark Collins

Alessandro Mainente

hi Ryan do you have any idea about the position are you used to hold during the sleep? it is enough to sleep on the side to have some rotator cuff pain.

Mark Collins

How long have you been doing foundation? What schedule are you performing? The shoulder is an area that may feel good during the workout but the next day can be painful. That is a sign you have done too much load and need to adjust your program.

Coach Sommer

Hi Ryan,

Your workout was too intense for your current capabilities.  

It is probably unnecessary to mention this again as you have probably learned your lesson now, but in the future you should remember that mobility work is not strength work and should never be trained with the same intensity you approach the rest of your conditioning with.  ;)

Rest from all upper body work for a minimum of one week.  If at the end of the week you feel any remaining discomfort - rest an additional week.

Once you are painfree and you begin working out again drop from 60 minutes per workout to 30 minutes as well as dropping several steps in your programming and then begin to gradually rebuild your strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Ryan Van Fleet

Thanks for the information.

I ended up noticing that the shoulder on that side was more swollen then the other. Cold packs, and some myofascial releases helped fixed the issue.

I ended up taking the entire deload week off, except doing the daily limber.  It seems Coach Sommer's assessment was correct. I think I over worked the muscle on the rings and mobility.  That coupled with the weird sleep messed it up.  

That was the first week I attempted Foundations. That Monday I was trying to do mastery's to see where I fall. Than Saturday I did the routine. I had done a lot of shoulder work on TRX as well as a lot of shoulder presses in the past, but the rings where a new wrinkle. I also find MN/PE1>iM to put a lot of stress on my left shoulder. That coupled with HBP/PE2>iM is a shoulder killer.

One thing I didn't realize my first week was that there should be zero rest between sets and mobility sets. I think I was able to complete masteries and do more than I should because I took so many rest breaks.

My current program is

Monday (Limber, Handstand 1)

Tuesday (Limber, Foundation 1 60 minutes)
R (Limber, front splits)

F (Limber, Foundation 1 60 minutes)

 

Ryan Van Fleet

@Alessandro Mainente That weekend I was at my folks house and the bed I sleep on is an old mattress that has more given than I'm used to. I compensate, by sleeping on my side.  At home I sleep on my back or on my stomach and my mattress firm. I built a custom bed frame to give it extra support.  Its pretty much like sleeping on a cushy carpet.

Mark Collins

As per Coach's recommendation try spittling Foundation up into 30 minute workouts. Doing all of Foundation on one day is definetley tougher and is too much loading for you at this stage.