This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Headaches and shoulder pain

Started by Andrew Wilson 226962, September 6, 2016 · 3 Replies · 96 Views

Andrew Wilson 226962

Hi! I've just finished block two. By the end I had a recurrence of headaches and shoulder pain that I usually get when I try to exercise. (It was particularly bad after the hollow and stiff bear, but had been coming on already before that.) This has been an ongoing issue for years. I've had lots of physical therapy and none of it has solved the problem long term. My best guess is that years of too much reading cramped over has taught me to use the wrong muscles to hold myself up (good posture is a struggle) and so when I try something new I use all the wrong muscles and trigger pain. It's manageable with a little painkiller and a nice massage from my husband :) but I was wondering if you had any tips. Am I try just trying for more than I'm capable of? Do I need to do much smaller versions of what you're showing? I noticed that you often say these things can take weeks or even months (maybe years) to do right. I was attracted to this program because it seemed like it would re-teach me how to move but I'm not quite sure how to deal constructively with the pain. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

thanks,

Sarah

 
Tanya Hill

Hi Sarah, 

My recommendation would be to find a therapist that specializes in trigger point therapy. Many migraines can be caused by knots that have built up over the years that need to be worked out. Definitely working on improving posture and building strength in the correct support muscles can also help. 

@Wesley Tan may also have some recommendations. 

 

Andrew Wilson 226962

Thanks Tanya. It's not migraines, it's tension headaches, and they go away easily with painkillers. I'm here because no therapist has done me any good and I want to try to build strength on my own. So practical advice toward doing the exercises is much appreciated.

Coach Sommer

Hi Andrew,

Often times tension headaches are the result of excessive tension in the upper back and traps.  The integrated mobility elements from the manna and handstand series in addition to the thoracic bridge stretch series are particularly good for addressing these issues.

It is always acceptable to do additional integrated mobility elements as needed.  Just be careful to ensure that the additional mobility work included does not overstrain an already stressed area of your body.  

Remember be patient and allow your body time to adjust and adapt to the new stimulus.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer