This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Los Angeles GST

Started by Wesley Manson, September 5, 2016 · 19 Replies · 1,674 Views

Wesley Manson

Los Angeles is filled with fitness enthusiasts, but there are no good (that I know of) adult gymnastic facilities. It seems like it would be a great place to start a successful affiliate. 

Anyone have suggestions of places to go or GB trainers around the area to work with? Having a place with like minded people and all the best gymnastics equipment would be extremely fun. 

Patrick Rentz

I'm not sure as to the answer to your question. Here's a link I always come across (as I'm on the west side): http://lagymnastics.com/classes/adult-gymnastics/

I'd be willing to give that one a try sometime!

But you should go down to Original Muscle Beach in Santa Monica one Sunday. I've been going there for years to swing on the traveling rings. There are literally all kinds of people there, from acrobats, divers, gymnasts, yogis, flyers, etc...Ask around. It's a huge community - pretty much everyone is friendly and wants to help. Plus, this is a ton of fun:

307554_10101199669459675_767259438_n.jpg

Wesley Manson

I love Santa Monica, it is just hard for me to get to. I need to find me some stall bars. Any clue where to find those? 

Eva Pelegrin

Patrick, what a great picture. Traveling rings looks like so much fun... I hope I can get to try them someday! 

Suzanna McGee

@Wesley Manson I live in Venice Beach. There used to be a gymnastic facility on Main Street just where Abbot Kinney connects to it. For years. They moved somewhere else now. I think they are called Broadway Gymnastics now. I have never been there because I didn't used to be interested. Now I am about 5 weeks into GST, and I want to find stall bars too. If you find, let me know. The Broadway Gymnastic are located on 5433 Beethoven Street. (Just went to look it up) I haven't been there, but I know some ex-gymnasts fitness girls from Gold's gym go there to practice tumbling. 

Randeep Walia

I used to train to the gymnastics facility in Van Nuys. This was years ago but they had adult open gym every night with all the apparatus. If that's still available I would definitely recommend checking it out!

Patrick Rentz
15 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Patrick, what a great picture. Traveling rings looks like so much fun... I hope I can get to try them someday! 

Thanks, eva - they are. You'll be hooked if/when you get to try them!

 

Eva Pelegrin

I AM hooked already! Been wanting to try it for a few years. My spirit is there, but my body is far from ready. I have a history of elbow tendinitis, full-thickness tears and high-grade partial tears from trapeze and rope climbing, so I’m back to square one (or minus 2) rebuilding the temple one brick at a time –> Foundation.

Jonathan Howard

I work right across from Broadway Gymnastics. They're directly across the street from the Playa Vista complex near Playa Del Rey.  They have an excellent facility and have adult gymnastics classes.  My kids go there.  Last time I was there I asked if they had heard about the GST program and they hadn't, so there might be an opportunity there to start something with them. 

Regarding stall bars, you can buy them for $500 (pays for itself after 24 weeks of adult gymnastics classes) or build your own for about $300.  Demos abound online.

I'm all for trying to start a GST affiliate in LA.  Let's make it happen!

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Jonathan Howard said:

Regarding stall bars, you can buy them for $500 (pays for itself after 24 weeks of adult gymnastics classes) or build your own for about $300.  Demos abound online.

I'm all for trying to start a GST affiliate in LA.  Let's make it happen!

I know I am leading the thread a little bit somewhere else, but do you have a preferred kind of stall bars to purchase for home? I like those classic solid wooden ones (that we used to also have back in time, 30 years ago in Europe)… I really see how they would be great to have at home. I am not handy enough to make my own stall bars, so I just will need to buy them. Because you are my local fellow from the West Side, maybe you know a local place where to buy them? But online is great too, that's where I do the most of my purchases anyway. Thanks for your tip, @Jonathan Howard

Jonathan Howard

I haven't looked too extensively online.  Rogue Fitness sells some black metal ones that are well-reviewed regarding their sturdiness. But they look like they belong in a military bunker and cost $500.  Here are some well-reviewed less expensive ones:

https://smile.amazon.com/3B-Scientific-W15400-Stark-Stall/dp/B00H2IAF6W/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1474401270&sr=8-4&keywords=stall+bars

There are even cheaper wooden ones on Amazon for under $300 but there are reviews with people reporting bars breaking, which seems like a recipe for disaster.  

Not sure where to look outside of online sellers. Maybe go to a gymnastics gym and ask where they buy their equipment from?  

Hope this helps!

Eva Pelegrin
13 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I like those classic solid wooden ones (that we used to also have back in time, 30 years ago in Europe)… 

European memories... me too! I like the warmth, feel and give of the wood. I purchased https://www.artimexsport.com/us/spaliere.php#new made in Germany. I know Coach recommends the metal ones for the durability aspect. So each style has its pros/cons.

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Jonathan Howard said:

Wow wow WOW, they are the most beautiful stall bars… just what I can imagine in my dream… $450 and $70 shipping. Pricey, but absolutely beautiful and great quality. Will think about them for a little bit, but I think these will be the ones, if I buy some for my home. All the other ones on Amazon look too cheap, too weird, or not to be trusted. Thanks for this gem, @Jonathan Howard  :) 

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

European memories... me too! I like the warmth, feel and give of the wood. I purchased https://www.artimexsport.com/us/spaliere.php#new made in Germany. I know Coach recommends the metal ones for the durability aspect. So each style has its pros/cons.

@Eva Pelegrin, there are many on the page/link you posted… which one did you get? Do you like it? At home? Did you see the beauty that Jonathan posted (not the Amazon one)? Wow, pretty… 

Eva Pelegrin

Suzanne, 

I like the ones I have. Not all stall bars are equal construction/quality. Here's the model info:

George Augusto

Looking for a GST trainer in LA if anyone knows of one. 

Suzanna McGee
On September 21, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Suzanne, 

I like the ones I have. Not all stall bars are equal construction/quality. Here's the model info:

Eva, going to order mine really soon… :) in a few days. Can't wait!!! After rereading the threads, I am now wondering if 7'6" will be too low for me to hang freely… I am 6 feet tall… 

Eva Pelegrin

@Suzanna McGee if you have enough ceiling height, get the tallest you can find. You can also raise the installation of the stall bar with proper support underneath to suit your stature.

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

@Suzanna McGee if you have enough ceiling height, get the tallest you can find. You can also raise the installation of the stall bar with proper support underneath to suit your stature.

I have just normal ceilings… I will go and measure everything today and see the highest I can fit, and possibly raise it how you suggest… I know it is probably one of the most important thing—to hang freely… thanks, Eva!!!