This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Preparation for Foundation

Started by Anthony Winyard, September 4, 2016 · 6 Replies · 227 Views

Anthony Winyard

At the moment I'm in week 3 of the Fundamentals but wondering if there is any equipment that will be needed once I start doing the Foundation series?

I do all exercises at home and would like to prepare now so that if there is anything required I have it ready when I come to it rather than not being able to do an exercise when I reach that level until the equipment arrives a few days later.

Tanya Hill

Hi Anthony, 

Glad to hear you are making your way through the Fundamentals. For the Foundation One course you will need floor space, a light dumbbell and a set of rings. 

Anthony Winyard

Thank you Tanya.

When you say a set of rings I'm slightly lost. Does that mean I need to fix some rings to the ceiling in my house?

Cole Dano

It could work, though it may be a bit awkward, in the beginning the rings will be used for rowing variations, clearance under the rig could be problematic.

Ryan Bennetts
On 04/09/2016 at 9:02 PM, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Anthony, 

Glad to hear you are making your way through the Fundamentals. For the Foundation One course you will need floor space, a light dumbbell and a set of rings. 

Hi Tanya

Is a 2kg dumbbell appropriate? Not sure how 'light' is light. I scrambled around the house to find something for the first workout and just used a 1.7L bottle of gin. :P

Rings are new and scary for me. Never used them, never seen them in the flesh before. Is there some advice I can read for what kind to buy and how to install / set them up for the Foundation 1 exercises?

Cheers,

-- Ryan

Tanya Hill

Hi Ryan, 

I love the bottle of gin idea! A 2kg is a great starting point, the size of the dumbbell can increase as you progress but good to start light. 

The GB courses give a nice lead in for ring work, working on different rowing variations. Check out GB gear to see what Coach Sommer recommends for rings and straps. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gear/

I am a chalk happy gymnast and when using rings I also find chalk to be very helpful to maintain a tight grip. 

Keep the questions coming!