This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 20: Shoulder extension

Started by Marvin Stahlhacke, September 4, 2016 · 3 Replies · 87 Views

Marvin Stahlhacke

Hi! 

I'm working on the shoulder extensions today and experience a lot of difficulties getting my arms up to 90 degrees, even with a wide grip where my arms point almost straight out from the body. I feel a stretch (sharp pain) in the upper part of my biceps while doing this exercise. Do I need to prepare or warm up prior to doing these stretches? 

Many thanks

Marvin

Jon Douglas

You certainly need to dial it back a bit! The biceps loosen up pretty fast with consistent work, but sharp pain is never a good sign.

You won't need to warm up excessively, it'll be more about working within a (mostly) comfortable ROM to begin with. Small movements and longer holds; spend some time doing arm swings in a few directions before getting into it :)

 

Marvin Stahlhacke

Thank you for the guidance Jon. I'll dial it back a bit and try arm swings before I start again :)

Jon Douglas

You'll be right mate, just need to build up a little more gradually. Soreness after stretching is not usually an issue but pain should be avoided in workouts. We want you ready to train again tomorrow; you might be tired or sore but you won't be injured :)