This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Injury and working with thoracic bridge.

Started by Mira Tuzlak, September 4, 2016 · 8 Replies · 202 Views

Mira Tuzlak

Hello!

I have a few questions regarding this routine and an injury I got to my back last November. Ill provide a fair amount of background info, I've been talking with a few people about this but really just looking for all the input i can get..

Two years ago, I had nearly no mobility in my spine, I couldn't push up into a proper seal and getting into a proper bridge took me about three weeks of consistent practice. However, with practice, my shoulders/thoracic opened up dramatically, and I was able to get quite deep in my backbends. At this time, there was no pain, only the feeling of active muscles and release in my t-spine. Nothing in the lumbar. My fingers were right by my ankles, comfortable, and eventually had a teacher get me catching my ankles. No pain, just an intense stretch.

However, over a three month period, november 2015-january 2016 I lost a pretty dramatic amount of weight (during the first month mostly and I was pretty small to start with) that resulted in more space, but also waaaay less muscles. I think this caused some muscle imbalances and me not exactly knowing how to move properly or safely, and things were not activating properly. The pain grew over time, in my lumber area, a feeling of compression as well as a pretty constant burning sensation, which I still experience, though it has reduced quite a bit, throughout my daily life. I went to my physio, and we realised my glutes were extremely tight-she couldn't even do any cupping in the region with regular needles, and it took us about 6 sessions (1 per 2 weeks) to get them completely released. Much better now, but that ache is still there. Tried to get an mri, but with many of the other issues I'm dealing with due to this, it always gets ignored by my docs.. I lost a lot of strength also, and haven't been able to get it back due to trying to fix some hormonal/fatigue stuff.

Ok, so there's the background. Nowadays, I feel extremely tight through my spine (upper and lower) as I am also working in a kitchen doing dishes all day in a deep sink, but am proactively trying to fix my posture.

Now, I did the thoracic bridge routine for the first time. The first activities were good. Elevated thoracic bridge went ok, just a bit of discomfort when getting up. But in the wall walks I can feel compression still in my lower back, and not sure what it is from. I think the proper step would be to either work on other exercises until I am comfortable or reduce the rom. I don't know if it is due to lack of strength/incorrect engagement or otherwise. But all input is appreciated.    Here is a photo of full bridge, then a couple of thoracic bridge. Ill try to get a video of wall walks in somewhere.. Thank you!!!!

IMG_5973.jpgIMG_5974.jpgIMG_5968.jpg

Mira Tuzlak

 

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Mira Tuzlak,

I am by no means an expert to give you advice medically but based from your story i would say that there is indeed an imbalance in your training. The best way to correct your imbalances is to train using the GB Foundation Courses. It will help you eliminate your overall imbalances in strength and mobility.

@Wesley Tan @Mark Collins what do you guys think? 

Mira Tuzlak

@Leo Trinidad Yep, thats my plan. Ill be travelling for this next year, but planning to take the course with me. I think overworked glutes may be the initial culprit (now maybe something with spinal discs, but I don't know). I do come from a dance background and you would be surprised at how many people have really little core strength and either have no/too much glute activation.. Probably a few imbalances stem from there. My core got pretty strong last year, as I worked with ashtanga yoga (practicing in other ways right now, I dealt with a bit of exercise addiction, now time for some compassion, ha.) But after this injury, I lost my core connection so starting with basics again, which really is exciting in its own way.. 

Mark Collins

You are obviously very mobile, but how strong are you? I find most people with great natural mobility are lacking in strength through that range. How far into foundation are you? 

For the moment I would reduce the range of motion with your bridge work and focus on strength.

Mira Tuzlak

@Mark Collins Right now I am O.K. for strength. I definitely lost a lot of strength in the past few months, especially when I lost the weight, and it will be a good focus for me to rebuild it. I think that that is a good idea- I have had some problems firing up my back properly since/during my injury, as well as my core. Also I am a bit heavier then I was when I was stronger, so an extra challenge there (it will be a bit before I can lean down, need to get hormonally balanced first.) I'm currently working through fundamentals, and then doing a bit of handstand work as well. I'll start foundations probably in early October-I'm travelling and will need a bit of time to settle into the new country. But I will definitely focus on my strength and back off here.

Mark Collins

I think you will be surprised by how strong you really are. Remember that if you can finish all of Foundation you are an advanced beginner who can do a warm up for real strength training. Before starting Foundation I thought I was strong, but was humbled really fast. You will get alot out of Foundation that will build your body to be able to cope with bridge work. 

Christopher Denzer

Hi all:

About three weeks ago, I deadlifted for the first time in over a year and, despite warming up, blew out my lower back. I say "blew out" because that was the sensation: like the discs in my lower spine "popped." Long story short, there was no shooting pain in my legs or apparent nerve damage, but bending over wasn't fun for a while. 

Most days I feel fine, I'm stiff in the mornings or after lengthy sitting, but once I've warmed up, I am OK.  I've cut out any training that requires excessive flexion or twisting. Things are getting better, but I decided to try FL PE15 and the mobility element, even slowly and carefully done, aggravated my injury. I obviously won't be doing that one again. 

The pain is localized in the lower right side of my spine, deep inside, near the hip. Obviously, I am not asking people here to play doctors, but should I discontinue the stretch series as well? Does anyone have any anecdotes that might help me understand what I should be doing/not doing? All replies are held harmless.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Christopher,

If pain is still present after 3 weeks, then stop training and see a doctor.