What height should I install my pull-up bar at?

Started by Robert Shepherd, September 3, 2016 · 2 Replies · 17,994 Views

Robert Shepherd

Hi all

I am purchasing a wall mounted pull-up bar and would appreciate some advice on the best height to install it at.

The height of my ceiling is just over 8' tall (98 inches). I am just over 6' tall (72.5 inches) and able to reach up to around 92 inches when standing on my toes. So I need to make some kind of trade between: a) how much I will need to bend my legs when hanging from the bar (or the rings I will hang from it); and b) the amount of clearance I will need above the bar.

At what height do you recommend I install my bar?

Note: I also have access to bars at a range of heights at a nearby outdoor gym. So I can go there for specific exercises that aren't possible at whatever height I set my bar at home. Though I would like to minimise the need to make such trips.

Thanks in advance for your help!
 

Mark Collins

Ideally you will need a height that you can keep your legs straight through the whole movement. Can you put it outside. I am 6'2 so I had a pull up tower built in my back yard so I could do rope climbs and rings. It is 15' high.

Robert Shepherd

Thanks for your reply Mark

I would love to build a setup like you describe, however we live in a 5th floor flat. When we move we will have to look for something at ground level! :)

So I can see that whatever height I put it at now won't be ideal, as I will always have to bend my legs when using rings. Given that this will be the case, I'm thinking to give myself a little clearance of about 20" below the ceiling, so I am at least not so restricted over the bar. But I will then make use of the higher bars at the local outdoor gym as much as possible too. 

Happy to hear alternative ideas!