This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Thoracic Bridge Pushup

Started by Andrew Brook-Dobson, September 3, 2016 · 9 Replies · 268 Views

Andrew Brook-Dobson

Wowser! First time doing the Thoracic Bridge stretch session and some of the latter sets are really tough.

I felt as though I had the flexibility to do some of the TB exercises, but I seemed not to have the power / strength in the shoulders. I could lift myself up into the bridge, but there was no way I could lower myself and press back up.

I am currently in the 2nd week of Fundamentals which I'm finding pretty straight forward and have got Foundations (and Handstand) so plan to start Foundations when I've finished Fundamentals.

Any suggestions from the collective wisdom on this forum for increasing the strength in the shoulders and upper arms to do this or just wait? 

Cheers

Andy

Mark Collins

Some people have scaled this by laying on a ball and pressing up from there. As you progress through Foundation and stretch you will develop the strength and mobility to bridge.

Suzanna McGee

@Mark Collins I tried the elevated bridge on the ball (I have done 3 TB sessions) and I couldn't get the stretch at all. It was almost easier for me to push off the ground into a bridge than to push myself into elevated bridge (off the ball or on the ball). Have you tried it yourself? Any tips how to get it right from the ball? That would be a huge help if I could get into an elevated this way  :-) 

Mark Collins

The stretch is felt at the top so you should feel it regardless of whether or not you start from the floor or ball.

Henry Firth

I have exactly the same problem as Andrew Brook-Dobson. 

I just started foundation and the stretch series together. I am in week one. The leg stretches seem fine so far (although I need lots of work). 

But when it came to the bridge work on the stall bars I was just miles away from being able to follow. I can't even hold a bridge for more than a shaky second or so. My shoulders seem way too weak and my spine too inflexible.

Do you have any advice as to how I can work up to the elevated bridge work? Can I add some additional work into my foundation workout days? 

Jon Douglas

Feel free to add some more bridge work. After your days workout of course :)

Be cautious of overdoing it on a weak spot though. How are your FL progressions coming along?

Coach Sommer

Hi Henry,

Do not feel that you need to intially complete the entire thoracic bridge series.  Only go as deep into the series as you feel comfortable going.  Note that this caveat applies to all the GB stretch courses.

Approach your thoracic bridge series with patience and consistency and you gradually find yourself able to complete the entire series.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Henry Firth

@Jon Douglas Yeah the FL progressions are coming along well. It's easy stuff at this stage but I'm being patient and focused. I presume it will let me know when it's time to move onto the next progression? I'm on the start point for everything so far. 

Do you have any tips for good starter-level bridge work that I could include into my workouts? 

@Coach Sommer OK great will approach with patience :-) Already feeling the improvement in flexibility and mobility after just a couple of weeks on the stretch courses. I'm tending to do 3 days stretch courses and 2 days Foundation course (1 hour). This feels like a very manageable routine and gives my weekdays a great start also!

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Henry,

The bridge preparatory mobility is the mobility for front lever work in Foundation One. Between that and the Thoracic stretch series, you will progress just fine.

Henry Firth

OK thanks :-)