This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Does it matter if I do the whole Front Split Sequence at once?

Started by Justin Rovtar, September 1, 2016 · 4 Replies · 212 Views

Justin Rovtar

Just curious if it really matters if I do the whole Front Split Sequence at one time. It makes my day easier if I can do it in a few smaller session throughout the day.

Everett Carroll

It's nice to do in one session so that you're warm but splitting it up is better than not doing it at all.

Jon Douglas

It is intended to be completed in one session, as earlier stretches will feed into later ones, for example loosening up the calves to then stretch the achilles deeply, and allowing better access to the hamstring. Certainly fitting it in however it fits is a lot better than nothing though :)

Leo Trinidad

i try to do both. doing it in a whole session if time permits and splitting it out when the day is busy. i personally find splitting the exercises to have better gains. :)

Felix Schreiter

I personally found it beneficial to scale down the series in the beginning, simply because it made me so sore I wasn't recovered even a week after I stretched. I did not scale it down in terms of exercise selection but rather time spent in the stretch. For example instead of doing 2 minutes in a particular stretch I would do 90s or even a minute. While sticking to the recommended times is definitely the ideal I found that I had to work up to it and already felt greatly stretched after scaling it down a bit. That way the series becomes a bit shorter from maybe to 45minutes to 30 minutes. This might make it more convenient for you time wise. On the other hand if you recover easily from the series scaling it down might simply be running away from putting in the necessary work. I agree that splitting it up is not the best idea. Try it once and you will feel why. Doing the front splint stretches without having stretched your ankles, hamstrings etc. before is like doing heavy strength sets without warming up with lighter once, at least in my experience. 

Best,

Felix