There's something wrong with my shoulder...

Started by Seiji, December 20, 2009 · 9 Replies · 2,873 Views

Seiji

and it's REALLY bugging me.

It's been flaring up and down for months. Today I woke up very early in a lot of pain... I've taken ibuprofen and used a heat pack when it flares up, but nothing seems to do it. I even use dit da jow (if you know what that is).

I want to go see a doctor, but my mom won't take me because she thinks it's overuse. Please help me, this is terrible. I can't really use my arm in a certain ROM because of the pain. To pick something up, I have to bend my elbow closer to my chest and then reach out.

Blairbob

And what ROM is that? You did not specify what so we have no clue into what is plaguing you. Which arm? Are you right or left handed? What are your workouts currently looking like?

Ibuprofen will relieve the pain but won't do squat in healing it.

Romulo Malta

If it's acute inflammation then you'd rather ice it than heat it. Just stop immediately to work your arm, rest and convince your mother you need to see a doctor. Overuse or not, if the pain doesn't subside you have a medical condition and you can get more concrete help from a professional personally than just asking here.

Joshua Naterman

Romulo has a good point. It's best to err on the side of safety :)

If you give a detailed description of what movements cause the pain, where it is located, and what it feels like, you'll enable us to say a lot more. I personally have had a lot of shoulder issues, and a combination of cold baths after workouts, 12g fish oil per day, stretching, and elastic band work has helped immensely. It has taken months of constant work to feel ok, and if you've had long term pain you better expect that it will take a long time to fix it for you too :) I'm still not 100%, but it's getting better every day. Don't give up hope :)

Seiji

I have proof that it's a torn rotator cuff in my right arm. I am right handed. I went to a friend's birthday party and had to bowl with my left hand, which wasn't so bad. I got close to 100. Was at kung fu class today (looking like an idiot not moving an arm) and found out that I can do one arm push ups with my left arm :D That is a major upside.

So anyways, does anyone know any good rehab routines for this? I'll make sure to keep it extra slow.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

get a professional opinion

self diagnosis and e-advice might not be the best idea

Joshua Naterman

I agree. You need to know to what degree you have torn muscles, and which muscles you have torn. That's pretty much essential information for choosing appropriate treatment.

Seiji

Sounds reasonable to me.

Is ice or heat better in general?

I am going to the doctor's some time after I visit my dads house (in a week or so). I have to get my insurance information (been updated) before I can see one.

Joshua Naterman

The usual advice is that after 48 hours you only use ice after a workout. The rest of the time heat is better, but you'll be best experimenting. For healing alternating the ice and heat a few times, ending with heat, will probably do you the most good.

Seiji

Oh, it hurts too much to exercise right now...That, and I can't even lift most of my arm.