Hi all,
I injured my shoulder by trying to do a muscle up several months ago. At the transition point my shoulder went into a range of extension that it had never felt before and I felt the pain immediately. After a few months it settled a bit but then I irritated it by benching heavy and it got a lot worse than before.
I am a doctor and am pretty sure it was a rotator cuff injury. It has gradually been improving. I first abstained from all upper body work, then gradually itroduced band internal and external rotation, shrugs, prone lateral raises. Then I moved on to isometric holds and weighted holds in the various shoulder position. Now I am at internal and external rotation in the 90-90 position, which is possibly the best thus far, as I feel it is taxing the joint and I get that almost pleasurable dull ache.
The improvement has been gradual. At first I had pain on minimal activity eg turning the car steering wheel, putting on clothes. Then I started active rehab. That pain went. Then I only had pain when taxing the shoulder eg pushups, bench, shoulder press. I am now improved again and can do pushups without pain. However, if I try an archer push up or archer pull up the pain shoots up again.
My rehab has gone well. I hope you enjoyed this account and welcome any Qs. Additionally, does anyone know any further good rehab exercises for the shoulder that may help me to progress further?
Regards,
J