Ring Grip

Started by Erik Sjolin, December 20, 2009 · 9 Replies · 3,329 Views

Erik Sjolin

I got my rings a few days ago (now the hard part is finding a place to set them up), and I had a question about the grips. Would it be a good idea to wrap the bottom part in athletic tape (my dormitory's gym did that with an old barbell and stuck it on top of a squat rack for a makeshift pull up bar), leave it as it is, or is it simply a matter of preference?

super_hippie

What material are your rings? Mine are powder coated steel from Rogue Fitness. I left them as is. They hold chalk well when I get sweaty. I love their natural fit & feel.

As far as a place to put your rings, check out my ring station, http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=545495416#/photo.php?pid=11144079&id=545495416 It was easy to build and gives me plenty of room to work. I also added a removable bar at 8' so that I can do low ring work like body rows, push-ups, ring flys, etc.

Good luck!

Blairbob

The GB rings have a mighty good texture so I've never needed to tape them. In fact, some of the chalk has stayed on from my boys having chalk on their hands during rings event work.

Other than that, it depends what kind of rings and your hands. Some people sweat a lot on their hands and feet during workout.

heinrich
check out my ring station

You're the guy who posted a video of his muscle-up on facebook right?

Damn I love your station :D

A climbing rope will be like a cherry on the cake :mrgreen:

Enjoy!

Joshua Naterman

Outstanding set up! I love it :)

super_hippie

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I love it. I will try to get a thread up of the different setups I have available on it in the near future.

Joshua Naterman

That would be awesome. I have a similar set up, but instead of using 4x4s I climbed 2 trees and attached my conduit to the trees with 5/8 inch thick carriage bolts! I also used climbing rope for the first 5 or 6 feet of the straps and attached the ring straps to that so that I can take the rings all the way down to the ground. I figure that longer straps = better development :)

super_hippie

Was going to take the pics today, but it is pouring down rain. This is really awful because I got a climbing rope for my ring station for Christmas, but I am stuck looking at it instead of using it, haha. Oh well, I should be able to take the pics Monday or Tuesday, provided it doesn't rain again.

ETA: Erik, I did not mean to hijack your thread, so sorry it has gotten away from your original grip question.

Joshua Naterman

Erik: if you like the feel of the athletic tape, there's nothing wrong with using it. It's purely preference. I'd get some climbing chalk or gymnastics chalk, it's the same thing and very cheap. If you chalk your hands well and you still feel like you'd rather have that athletic tape feel, put the tape on. If you find out you don't like it you can ALWAYS take the tape off :)

Super hippie: Nice! At least you've got the rope :) I just got finished making my first true 3" barbell. What a pain! I took 2.5"(internal diameter, 2 and 7/8 outside, call it 3) pvc and 1.25" rigid metal conduit and cemented them together after I centered and bolted them together. It was easy except for the concrete. Next time I'll have to remember to buy mortar :) That concrete has gravel in it, and that has a hard time getting past the bolts. I ended up using a wire coat hanger to coax it all through, which took forever (in this case, around two hours). Next time I will be doing one bolt and then hand-centering until I've almost filled the pipe to the second bolt-holes.

Erik Sjolin

super_hippie: Hey, no worries buddy. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas, and through said hijacking I found a good way to set up my rings (though I may need to hijack a lumber yard).

Also, thanks for all the information about the tape, slizzardman, it's pretty useful. :)