EMT Conduit instead of wood for stall bars?

Started by Darren Rousar, September 1, 2016 · 4 Replies · 2,755 Views

Darren Rousar

I was discussing my stall bar building project with a commercial electrician friend the other day and he suggested that I use EMT conduit for the rungs instead of the wood. EMT is almost a quarter the price of hardwood and seemingly a lot stronger.

I went to Home Depot and tried to flex a 4' section of one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/item/100400410 and could not.

Conversely, I could flex a 4' section of their 1 1/4" oak rounds.

Does anyone see issues with using EMT?

Judith Newton

Hi Darren..

I've been looking at stall bar ideas, too.

I found this in the forums: 

Darren Rousar

Apparently I did not search well enough! Thanks Judith.


Given the cost, I'm leaning towards 5' long EMTs and if necessary some kind of tape to mitigate the metal's temperature (since the bars will be in my basement).
For the uprights I plan on using 2, 2x8 LVLs (https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/trusses-i-joists-engineered-lumber/laminated-veneer-lumber-lvl-strand-lumber/1-3-4-x-7-1-4-x-8-lvl-1-9e/p-1444438527446-c-5663.htm?tid=-4058555424960429921). That should put the total materials cost at less than $150 for a 5' wide, 8' tall set of 15 bars.

Of course I'll need my neighbor's drill press and a properly sized bit for the holes in the LVL.
My guess is that I'll need to drill holes in the rods and LVL where they connect so that I can drive a screw through both to prevent the rods from rotating.

Douglas Wadle

I like the grip and feel of wood.  Metal is definitely stronger and will allow you to make it wider.  However, make sure you think how you will attach to your upright supports and keep them from spinning on you.

Darren Rousar

Good point.  Thanks.