This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Twisting squat

Started by Joseph Fortune, September 1, 2016 · 3 Replies · 142 Views

Joseph Fortune

Hi,

I just can't do a twisting squat. I have no idea if it is a mobility or a strength issue. I can't even begin to get up off the ground. I can barbell squat 1.5x bodyweight for reps and can do good cossack squats and pistol squats so I'm not totally weak in the quads/glutes. Any tips on how to get started?

Cole Dano

In cases like yours I like the work from both ends approach.

Bottom Up: Sit crosslegged as low as you can and still be able to stand back up. Use blankets, blocks etc to adjust your height. Next time make the support any amount lower while stil being able to get up.

Top down: Sit as far down as you can without falling, again use blocks, a chair etc to adjust your height. Usually you won't get quite as low here as the bottom up position, if you do, move that bottom up position closer to the floor.

Mobility: Make sure to work on you cross legged mobility by sitting cross legged as low as possible, but lower than the bottom up position.

Joseph Fortune
49 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

In cases like yours I like the work from both ends approach.

Bottom Up: Sit crosslegged as low as you can and still be able to stand back up. Use blankets, blocks etc to adjust your height. Next time make the support any amount lower while stil being able to get up.

Top down: Sit as far down as you can without falling, again use blocks, a chair etc to adjust your height. Usually you won't get quite as low here as the bottom up position, if you do, move that bottom up position closer to the floor.

Mobility: Make sure to work on you cross legged mobility by sitting cross legged as low as possible, but lower than the bottom up position.

Wow, those are great ideas, thanks very much!

Leo Trinidad

as an addition to @Cole Dano's excellent pointers, i tried using support in front of me for an extra push while working on my twisting squats as i build up strength. (i tried using step up boards, bench, smith machine bar.)