This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is this it?

Started by Brandon Rojad, September 1, 2016 · 2 Replies · 133 Views

Brandon Rojad

I'm new to gymnastics but not new to fitness and health. I'm only close to two weeks in on foundation one and I'm feeling so good. I grew sick of the metcon and barbell because it's all I did on top of neglected my mobility and rom. So I was strong and my cardio was great but I didn't actually feel great always stiff and twisted up. Not to mention being a barbell guy and not having strength or rom to perform any real gymnastics movment and gymnastics to me is the ultimate level of fitness strength wise. So here I am. Took me too long to realize this. 

 

And even this short time has been challenging I don't think this is easy, but I'm wondering for someone who's already in good shape should this all I be doing? Is anyone still lifting or doing calisthenics on top of fundamentals? Or should I just chill and keep advancing? Wich I wouldn't mind :)

-Brandon

Jon Douglas

If i was in your situation I'd be jumpin onto the courses alone :)

Because I'm not and I'm like, crazy stubborn too, I have tried adding assorted additional training, including full time martial arts training, kettlebells, deadlift/weighted pullups in various combinations, obstacle courses, and several sports. It all works, as long as I keep my core GST work of high quality. This, to me, is emphasis on what is necessary and what is frankly playtime :)

Adding a maintenence set or two after completing your days GST assignment is one simple approach. Or you might wish to give yourself a variety or challenge day somewhere between once a week and once every couple of months depending on the intensity of it. 

But there is no real need to do more; Foundation covers a lot of bases. The caveat is that strength challenges can come slowly if your mobility is heavily compromised; its in those cases that variety days can help preserve sanity while you wait for.mobility to catch up :)

 

Brandon Rojad

Wow thanks boss well put kind of exactly what I was thinking. I am satisfied with just foundation work, and I know it will get much harder. But mobility is key here and for me in general. I guess I'll just listen to my body and add and take away as I see fit. But staying most true to foundation is priority