This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions with front split series

Started by Mira Tuzlak, September 1, 2016 · 2 Replies · 101 Views

Mira Tuzlak

Hello everybody!

I am having a few problems with the front split series.. It seems to be targeting all of my weak spots so I am a little miserable. In a straight, standing or sitting pike, my hamstrings are quite flexible (chest to stomach, flat palms, bent arms) So I believe that most of my problems are coming from my tight feet and achilles, my terrible internal rotation, and I do have some problems with bent leg exercises (a bit of pressure with knees, with persistent stretching, I have achieved full lotus, but due to some health complications I have been out for a few months and have not been able to get there again.)

Anyways, here are a few questions I have about some troublesome exercises.

In all of the seizas, I am having problems keeping my heels together. If they are together, I can't sit and put weight on my legs, and there is no stretch whatsoever in my foot. What can I do to help with this? (curled seiza is ok, just painful for no toe flexibility..)

Narrow hurdler is really difficult for me, and always has been. From my understanding, I should place a block under my hips so I can square my hips first?

In wide hurdler, the foot that is up on the block will automatically externally rotate, I have a very difficult time bringing it parallel. However, if I prop my hips up onto a block, it will remain parallel, and I can get my chest to my legs. I do feel a stretch in my hamstrings here, but do think that working on my internal rotation could be beneficial.. What method do you think would be the best to approach this?

Really its all great and doing awesome things for my body, just trying to get back into the groove :)

Thanks for all your responses and help! It means a lot for me. If you have a hard time visualizing things, ask me for a photo or form check and I will try to post..

 

Tanya Hill

HI Mira, 

Thank you for reaching out. Take your time with doing stretch. It takes the body many years to get where its at now and will take some time to undue things. 

The seizas.....ouch! It took a while for my feet to adjust to this new movement. Keeping the heels together keeps the ankle in proper alignment. As you get deeper into the stretch continue to try to squeeze your heels together, they may not come together completely but its good awareness to keep working at it. 

Doing the hurdler elevated is an excellent progression. This will also give you a little more give on the quad stretch. Flexibility doesn't come easy, so your doing the right thing keeping at it. 

For the wide hurdler, you can try to put a strap around your foot to keep the leg inline. If you are ok with keeping the hips on the floor Id stick with that variation. Over time things will come together. 

The awareness and dedication you have at making your body better will take you far. 

Definitely post a video of your gains! 

 

 

 

Judith Newton

Hi Mira..

My heels really do not like to stay together in those two seizas, either.. I saw a recommendation on the forums to use a strap way down on the ankles to keep the heels together.. so that's what i do..

It takes a lot of effort to hold them together in the strap, even !  (I hope that is all right.)

cheers !