This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Building up to Russian dips

Started by Petri Widsten, September 1, 2016 · 13 Replies · 347 Views

Petri Widsten

I'm doing a bit of low-rep extra work to prepare myself for Russian dips which I'll eventually encounter. After reading some threads on RDs I decided to train negatives and band-assisted positives. Has anyone here had success (or not) with these methods? I'd like to hear how you fared. Advice is welcome too. Videos of my training these are below.

I assume the shoulders should be depressed in upper arm support. I'm not struggling with mobility/elbow stability so this seems to be just a strength issue.

 

Kate Abernethy

I had success using bands, this video is from yonks ago, I'm trying to use the band as little as possible:

https://vimeo.com/181023178

password: bandrdips

I have since learned that the backwards movement is not desired, so your setup with the wall behind you is even better :)

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petri Widsten building russian dips with negatives also helps and also do not bend your knees once you reach the bottom. maintain your body's tightness by keeping your pike. (initially, little momentum is okay as you build up strength)

Petri Widsten

Thanks guys! My setup options are limited to what you see (short bars fixed to the wall, too low for me) or a free-standing power rack with similar bar height and gap. I'd like have the band under my feet there isn't enough height. With the band I use my narrowest one and try to minimise the assistance from the bottom (which really is the sticking point) by stopping before pushing up. I think slow negatives will work well too.

As this is extra work for now (in my regular HBP training I alternate between PPPUs and Koreans + some normal single bar dips) I only do a few reps of negatives and band assisted ones if I still have the energy after each session. My goal is to be ready for full Russians by the time I've mastered Koreans with both grips so there's plenty of time to take things slowly. I also enjoy this variety in PU and dip training.

Mark Collins

I used bands to help get the feel of the movement. I spent months using bands as I had very poor strength in the transition range. I still do a warm up set with the band before performing regular reps.

Petri Widsten

Band-assisted ones are getting easier. As I'm already using my thinnest band, I'm thinking of using it together with a vest whose weight can be adjusted (up to 20 kg), adding weight in small increments until I no longer need assistance. I'll also be using just the band but doing the dips more slowly.

Petri Widsten

@Leo Trinidad

First Russian dips today, woohoo!

Built up by using a 7kg vest with the thinnest assistance band as the final progression.

So when I start focusing on these (still on PE10) and try to reduce momentum and get more upright, my options for the legs will be as below in the video or folding the lower legs back. Which is better? 

 

Mark Collins

Why are you adding resistance with a weight vest and using a band to lessen the resistance?

Petri Widsten
7 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

Why are you adding resistance with a weight vest and using a band to lessen the resistance?

To scale between my thinnest band and unassisted. Band + 7kg was still a bit easier than unassisted. The vest has 0.65 kg removable weights to a max of 20 kg.

Mark Collins

That makes sense now. 

Petri Widsten

I reckon the band + ca. 10kg equals unassisted in difficulty.

Alessandro Mainente

IN regard to the video execution, the bottom position should be locked with higher shoulders (this means lack of depression).

Leo Trinidad

I definitely agree with Alessandro. I would not have spotted it especially with the video angle. Keep working on it Petri. :) 

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente@Leo Trinidad

Depressed shoulders, got it, gents. I'll post a form check later when I have worked on the form.

What I'd like to know now is whether I should keep my legs straight in a piked position or bend my knees. The bars are too low for me to keep my legs straight and vertical.