This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tuck position question

Started by James Clarke, August 31, 2016 · 2 Replies · 86 Views

James Clarke

Hi, I'm just coming to the end of my first week of Fundamentals. It's been going well but I have a question about the tuck position - in order to get my knees close to my chest and have my back straight, I have to really pull my legs hard with my arms, so it feels like the part of my body that is working hardest is my arms and shoulders.

Is this right, or should I relax my arms a bit and have my legs a bit further away from my chest and use my core to keep my back straight?

Thanks, James

Jon Douglas

Hi James,

Ideally you would be holding the tuck with primarily your hips and your core. It is fine to use your arms to assist in the beginning, but keep it active-- try to use your arms as little as possible, not relaxed and braced against your legs :)

James Clarke

Thanks for the clarification. I'll focus on holding with my hips and core.