This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hinge Row Ethics

Started by Greg White, August 30, 2016 · 8 Replies · 376 Views

Greg White

I plateaued on Hinge Rows, so this meso-cycle i moved them from 4th (f3/4 split) to 1st in exercise order. I was generally hitting 15-14-13-13-13 during the plateau.

In the first week of placing them first I hit 4x15 and a 13. At the end of the meso cycle I hit 4x15 and a 16, so a decent progression of 1 rep a week - who says strength isn't linear :).Initially I thought if I'm 7 reps short in 4th place I should aim for 7-8 reps over in 1st place and that should mean I'll hit 5x15 in 4th. I'd then re-test the reps in 4th place. It sounds great on paper!

So here's my dilemma. My GST ethics is being tested. Can I consider it mastery if I hit the target if they're 1st in the order but i'm unable to if 4th in the order. My GST moral compass cries cheat! but I wanted to hear some opinions.

At the moment I'm thinking if this lovely linear progression continues i could get maybe the 8 over 5x15 in the next 2ish months. But anyone with some time spent strength training knows obstacles arise and that the linear progression you were making doesn't want to be so linear anymore. 

Thoughts please.

Everett Carroll

I think you're clear to move on Greg. If you mastered it then you mastered it. Swapping exercise order is a great way to periodize.

Greg White

Excellent , thanks Everett. I'll get a form check done, as it's been a while since my last, and if that's all good i'll move on. :)

 

Everett Carroll

Sounds good Greg

Prasan Samtani

Logged in just to ask about this. Same struggle for me, I'm progressing on every other exercise, but have been on hinge rows for 18 months now.

 

In the past 2-3 months, I feel like I've got the movement right (submitted a form check), but cannot hit 15 reps after set 3 (last few attempts have been 15, 15, 15, 13,10).

I will try moving it up front to the start of the workout.

 

Everett Carroll

Sounds good Prasan. These are hard. Consider adding an extra 15-20 rep set at the end of your workout on days you train these. 

Prasan Samtani

Sounds good, thanks!

 

I have mastery tested the next progression for kicks, and found it significantly easier than PE1, FWIW. But I do feel like I should respect the process, since it has helped me so much.

Greg White
3 hours ago, Prasan Samtani said:

Logged in just to ask about this. Same struggle for me, I'm progressing on every other exercise, but have been on hinge rows for 18 months now.

 

In the past 2-3 months, I feel like I've got the movement right (submitted a form check), but cannot hit 15 reps after set 3 (last few attempts have been 15, 15, 15, 13,10).

I will try moving it up front to the start of the workout.

 

once the new form videos were released I decided to restart as I knew at that point there were techniques I'd missed. I'd also decided that soon after hitting a plateau to mix things up. I've also added in half sets on rest days for bHBR and that seems to be working, slowly. But there's always a ying to the yang. As my pushups have moved to the last exercise in the order they've gone from 5x9 to 5x6. But if I'd left hinge rows at the end I feel they would never improve as effort would be spent on hitting push ups, bHBR etc. I read youd tried mastery on RC/PE1 and I suspected they'd be easier so but in the context of the workout they may feel harder than expected. There's a lot to be said about an how an exercise changes in context of a GB session! Good luck with hinge rows :)

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Once you're done with these, please, please, please, do them every single morning. A single morning set of 15 - 25 hinge rows is a wonder. I don't know why, I wish I could explain it but you will develop very healthy shoulder girdle and rotator cuff muscles. :)