This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trouble with scapular protraction

Started by Daniel Miles, August 30, 2016 · 3 Replies · 127 Views

Daniel Miles

Hi!

Just noticed my scapular protraction is pretty bad. Thought it was okay but what i've noticed is that whenever I protract, the upper traps are very heavily contracted and the shoulders almost round forward (not sure if this is okay?) 

When I try to depress and protract scapular for PPPu and any plank work it feels very difficult. Whenever I depress the scapula the lats fire up massively and my shoulder feels stable, But I find it very difficult to do both. Feels very restricted. I've been doubling up on scap push ups to help. 

what would you guys recommend?

Everett Carroll

Can you please post a video of your sPL>PE1?

Daniel Miles

Hey Everett,

sPL PE1 posted below. Sorry about the delay, had to find someone to take a video of me in a place it was appropriate to take my shirt off haha!

They feel okay but just feels tight/restricted when protracting, like the thoracic spine wont go up any higher.

 

Everett Carroll

The first rep was your best one as far as protraction goes and it was passable for mastery. After that you lost some ROM at the top. You should remaster these with the form you displayed on rep one of this video.