This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 5 Question

Started by Mary Townsend, August 29, 2016 · 5 Replies · 124 Views

Mary Townsend

In the Day 1 video, they suggested some alternatives for Ape, but they never mentioned "using a chair or table". In the Day 5 video, the woman said that if you are tight, use a chair or table. What does that mean? What does that look like? I'm asking because I'm incredibly tight and cannot lift my right foot off of the ground if my hands are on the ground. I've trie moving my hands farther out front like is mentioned in the Day 1 (second video on adjustments) but even that doesn't work for me. What is this alternative adjustment? Can someone demonstrate it?

Thanks

Tanya Hill

Hi Mary, 

Thank you for the message. Sounds like the Ape will be a working goal to accomplish for you, everyone starts somewhere, so take your time and do what you need to to allow your body to open up. A chair is a good idea to help you practice getting lower into your squat and take the height of the chair lower and lower until your hips open up. 

 

Mary Townsend

I'm still not quite picturing this. I can get into the squat, even if my heels are not on the ground. My challenge is in taking a step forward since my right leg won't rise up. How do I adjust things to make a step?

Thanks

Everett Carroll

I recommend having your heels down in the squat.

To get your right foot up, you may need to stand up even higher before you try taking a step. What Tanya was describing is holding a chair for support in the squat and using your arms to take weight off your legs. This should help you practice lifting your feet and may allow you to get deeper in the squat. Working on the squat position itself will help you tremendously with the movement.

If you still have trouble, you can always post a video on this thread. Also remember that this is totally normal and it is good to just take note of this deficiency. The Foundation One course works in much greater detail on tightness here, as do the stretch courses.

Lucy Flynn

For me, it was really hard if I tried to move my feet off the ground first. Also with later exercise the frog. If I move my hands first, and move hips up slightly as I lean on fists, it gets a lot easier to move my feet off the ground. 

Alessandro Mainente

Lucy adjustments are fine, it is a good way to recognize your restrictions.