This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 1 crab walk/forearm tightness

Started by Nicholas M Frasca, August 28, 2016 · 4 Replies · 125 Views

Nicholas M Frasca

Hi all. Have any other beginners experienced this? Keep in mind that I am 38 and have very little athletic background. When I was attempting to do the crab walk, I wasn't able to completely rotate my hands/forearms. My forearms felt like I was wringing out a wash cloth so needless to say the comfort level was very prohibitive . Any thoughts or suggestions about this ?

Tanya Hill

Hi Nicholas, 

Tight forearms and wrist is very common. The Fundamentals will definitely bring out awareness of tightness and imbalances. Take your time and never train through pain. My recommendation is to take a little extra time and stretching your wrist, the crab walk will open up over time. The more the shoulders open it will also bring relief to the forearms. A video is always helpful for further feedback. 

 

Troy Martin

"open up over time"? I admit as a 49 year old I am, hobbled I think was the word in the podcast. I am unable to crab walk with proper hand and elbow positioning and have tried it on multiple days. I do not expect miracles at day 10 but should I try this daily until I get, at a minimum, some movement?  Those wrist stretches are my worst experience so far, but I know I need them. I am frozen in that area. This stuff feels good overall.

Pauline Taube

Hi Troy,

Thanks for reaching out. Remember that it has taken you a long time to develop the tightness you're experiencing today and your mobility will gradually improve. Patience and consistency are the keys. Feel free to add some daily practice on the movement you struggle with the most. But remember to let your body recover from your sessions. Never stretch/train through pain (discomfort is different ;) ). 

Looking forward to follow your progress, please keep us posted! 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Troy,

Pauline is exactly right. It has taken you a long time to develop that tightness. Now it is just a matter of being patient and undoing the damage piece by piece. Enjoy the process, celebrate the small victories and before you know it you will progress. 

We look forward to following your journey and anytime you need help feel free to reach out in these forums.