This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

With toes pointed foot cramps

Started by Mathew Simenc, August 28, 2016 · 4 Replies · 246 Views

Mathew Simenc

When I make effort to point my toes my feet and toes quickly cramp underneath and is painful.  Is this something that will go away? Should I hold them pointed despite the cramps? Thanks.

 

Also I really really appreciate the instructional videos that were added to foundation 1. It helps me so much to have someone explain the exercises. For example it's often not clear to me what constitutes a rep. Hope to see something similar in handstand 1.

Tanya Hill

Hi Mathew, 

Thank you for the feedback on Pro+, glad to hear you are enjoying your GST journey. 

Foot cramp is definitely common. Toe point is great conditioning for the arches of the foot. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water, the foot cramp will go away over time the more your foot gets used to it. 

Alessandro Mainente

Cramps is the foot it is a common strategy used by the body when the anterior leg chain ti is too tight. in your case pointing the toes leads to a good stretch in the tibialis, if it is too tight the body tries to improve its stretch by squeezing more the arch of the foot until it cramps.

David Markey

I have this same issue, just on the left foot. The calf also is prone to cramping. I've been stretching the arch with curled seiza which I can do with little effort and no pain. I've been trying to massage the foot arch by rolling a golf ball on the floor with my foot, but this is very tender.

Have I overstretched the arch and injured it? Should I back off? 

Should I stretch the Achilles and calf more?

Alessandro Mainente

When you have cramps in the arc you do not have to stretch the arc of the foot but the tibialis anterior in the normal seiza position.