This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Bridge Form Check...

Started by Patrick Rentz, August 28, 2016 · 7 Replies · 98 Views

Patrick Rentz

It feels good to me, with the exception that my hands are rotated inward a bit and it makes my elbows look very bent, but they very close to 100%. So when I raise my feet higher for the bridge, I don't feel a ton of stretch in thoracic, whereas it feels like I'm really getting something done in thoracic at this height. Would you guys keep as is knowing elbows will eventually come around (I'm doing H1+H2 as well), or raise the feet for now (if that would even solve the issue)?

Screenshot_2016_08_28_14_51_43.png

 

Everett Carroll

Try elevating your feet more and work to get your elbows locked and shoulders over the wrists. This should help you work the thoracics more. Make sure you are retracting strongly.

Eva Pelegrin

Hello Patrick,

In case you haven't seen it, Alessandro provided very good explanations of the progressions in my thread here:

Suzanna McGee

@Patrick Rentz This is awesome!!!! Was it difficult or easy for you to push yourself up into this elevated bridge? I can't get my head off the ground once my feet are up. So I practice my "elevated" bridge with me feet on the ground (I can do a half-ass one, but at least something than nothing). Wondering if you had also problems at first, or if you popped up into elevated immediately? @Everett Carroll Any ideas how to get myself up off the ground when my legs are up? Or just keep practicing my bridge on the floor until my shoulders get stronger? (I am doing the H1 as well) Thank you!

Patrick Rentz
15 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Patrick Rentz This is awesome!!!! Was it difficult or easy for you to push yourself up into this elevated bridge? I can't get my head off the ground once my feet are up. So I practice my "elevated" bridge with me feet on the ground (I can do a half-ass one, but at least something than nothing). Wondering if you had also problems at first, or if you popped up into elevated immediately? @Everett Carroll Any ideas how to get myself up off the ground when my legs are up? Or just keep practicing my bridge on the floor until my shoulders get stronger? (I am doing the H1 as well) Thank you!

Thanks, @Suzanna McGee, I just started a couple months ago, but I do have a background with weightlifting/pressing exercises like bench press, overhead presses, etc...so it's not extremely difficult to press up. That's the plus for me, the minus is my mobility is pretty terrible. :) A cue that helps me is to make sure I'm looking backward at the wall as soon as I press up enough to drop my head. May sound obvious, but it's really awkward if you don't commit to the movement and get your head upside down.

BTW, I'm in West LA, too. I just moved from Venice over to Westchester. I was on 25th and Pacific. What part of the 'hood are you in?

 

Patrick Rentz
49 minutes ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Hello Patrick,

In case you haven't seen it, Alessandro provided very good explanations of the progressions in my thread here:

Cool, thanks so much, Eva. Sounds like bent arms in the static bridge is a recipe for disaster. I'll adjust accordingly. Got too many friends with shoulder issues and I know how bad it sucks.

Everett Carroll

@Suzanna McGee Finding a good spotter is your best bet for this one as it will allow you to keep your feet elevated and practice the push-up. Another idea is, if your handstand abilities allow, to get into the elevated bridge via handstand and work on the negative aspect of the push-up.

Suzanna McGee

@Patrick Rentz Thanks for the tip on the head, I'll try that... I too have lifted weights, etc, however, I weight quite a lot (160 lbs) and I never lifted things overhead as heavy as my body is, so I definitely feel weakness in these areas. I will patiently build the strength and hopefully one day push myself up too. I think the spotter could be my best option, @Everett Carroll, because my handstand are still in the baby steps beginnings (currently at H1/PE7). I'll try to convince somebody in the gym to help me to get up. Maybe if I do it a few times, I will find those right muscles to connect with and do it on my own. 

Patrick, I live on Westminster and 6th, in the Oakwood park area, just right in the "hood". How cool that we are almost neighbors, and doing this GST thing… I started just a month ago with H1… then added TB… then F1, then F2–4… lol… now I am thinking to add even FS and MS… all this within a few weeks. I am leaving all my money here :)  for exchange to get a lovely mobile and strong body. BOOM!