This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ankle Mobility and splay feet

Started by James Webb, August 26, 2016 · 1 Replies · 81 Views

James Webb

I've just finished my first week of the fundamentals course and I'm enjoying it so far, although my mobility is just awful overall. But the reason I joined the course was to try to fix my running posture. I've found my ankles over pronate and my feet splay out somewhat when I run. I've visited a few doctors and they've prescribed massage therapy to get rid of the symptoms, but since the root of the problem isn't fixed, knee pain or shin splits tend to return over time. So I was wondering:

1) Are there exercises in the fundamentals course coming up that would help strengthen my ankles and increase mobility there? Or is there something else I could be doing. 

2) If I'm monstrously stiff, should I remain in fundamentals until I'm less stiff, or should I jump straight into foundation as soon as I complete the course? I think I'd like a more structured course, which foundation appears to be, but I'm also nervous because I can't even touch my toes right now. 

Everett Carroll

Hey James,

Stick Fundamentals through to the end and before beginning Foundations. You don't need to be worried about your current level of mobility as everything starts of basic and will be developed slowly and methodically. The knee and ankle work in F1 is going to be awesome for you but Fundamentals is going to set you up well for success with it. Wait until you complete Fundamentals and then go straight into F1.