This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout Schedule

Started by Steve Bohler, August 25, 2016 · 8 Replies · 163 Views

Steve Bohler

Hi all,

New to the Foundations course. Have spent a good chunk of time reading materials and posts. A lot to digest!

In one of the intro docs on workout schedule, for 5 days a week, it recommended a schedule like: 

5 Day Schedule

Mon/Wed/Fri: FL/sPL/HBP/RC

Tue/Thu: MN/SL/SLS

However, in my Workout Scheduler, it has the same 7 exercises listed each day. 

Am I supposed to modify the schedule myself based on the breakout listed above? I assumed the scheduler would do it automatically.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Cory Fair

Hi Steve,

The schedule you're referring to is the 30 minute option. It looks like you chose the 60 minute, which is indeed all seven elements each day. If you need any help making schedule changes feel free to contact Support under the       Help      link.

Steve Bohler

Thanks very much for the reply, Cory

Curious, why does the 60 minute choice include all exercises per day? I assumed the recommended separation of days was to avoid doing strength work on consecutive days, but sounds like I'm wrong (?)

thanks again. 

Steve

Bret Kennedy

I am so confused with this new scheduler. I have been with GB for a while but have been terrible at keeping on plan and progressing, but after a few issues in the last 6 months have really decided to make a full effort.

In the previous scheduled options, days were divided into a 3 day split, where you did some of the Foundation on monday, then the rest on tuesday with the handstand series. This was so you didn't overload in your programing. As above now it seems like you can do a full routine each day. So now I am very confused. We are now allowed to do all 7 elements each day? 

I was thinking of training 7 days a week which I have no issue with, but I have the 3 stretch series to perform once a week as well. so do I have one day where I do the foundation, handstand and 1 of the stretch series?

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Now off to test mastery on the second set of exercises, but after last nights performance I might as well just start at week 1 on all :)

 

Bret

Steve Bohler

Good questions!

Cory Fair
2 hours ago, Bret Kennedy said:

I am so confused with this new scheduler. I have been with GB for a while but have been terrible at keeping on plan and progressing, but after a few issues in the last 6 months have really decided to make a full effort.

In the previous scheduled options, days were divided into a 3 day split, where you did some of the Foundation on monday, then the rest on tuesday with the handstand series. This was so you didn't overload in your programing. As above now it seems like you can do a full routine each day. So now I am very confused. We are now allowed to do all 7 elements each day? 

I was thinking of training 7 days a week which I have no issue with, but I have the 3 stretch series to perform once a week as well. so do I have one day where I do the foundation, handstand and 1 of the stretch series?

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Now off to test mastery on the second set of exercises, but after last nights performance I might as well just start at week 1 on all :)

 

Bret

We understand not everyone can make a template fit into life, which is why there is more freedom on picking days. It doesn't mean because you can schedule seven days a week that you should. Most students ought to start with a conservative 2-3 days of 30 minute Foundation and only add another day if after three weeks there's still gas left in the tank. 

Bret Kennedy

Ok That's fair. So 3 days of foundation and then 2 days of handstand is enough for progression. And if there is more gas use more.

As for the stretch series. 1 session of the entire series once a week is enough for gains in mobility/flexibility? and then do you take one that is exceptionally bad and maybe do some extra on that?

 

Duncan Angus

Bret, if it helps the way I use the scheduler is as a tool to be controlled by me to suit the regime I can keep to consistently, rather than something that tells me what to do that I have to keep to slavishly.  I find that it is more flexible than I first thought, and the most important bit is that it will keep the pattern you set from week to week.  So tinker with it manually to find the best balance of getting your courses done in a manner that fits with your work/life schedule, without burning out or overtraining, but without letting yourself off the hook too easily either.  The auto-settings for days per week and length of session don't work so well for me (though they may work perfectly for others).

For what it's worth, my schedule (which it's taken me a few months to settle on), is as follows:

4 days training per week - Day 1 = Foundation (all 7 exercises), Day 2 = Handstand + 1 x Stretch Course, Day 3 = Foundation (all 7 exercises), Day 4 = Handstand + 1 x Stretch Course.

So in a week I do two full Foundation workouts, two full Handstand workouts, and two out of three Stretch courses.  I rotate those on a rolling basis so I start the next week with the one Stretch course I didn't do from the previous week.  I have found this a manageable level of intensity, leaving enough rest days in between.  I don't do the four days back to back, but set them out on a Monday morning based on how the week ahead is looking.  If I feel energetic on a rest day, I'll throw in the third Stretch course or do some non-GST exercise, like a jog or a swim or something.

I hope that helps.

Everett Carroll

Exactly Bret. Like Cory said, start off with a more conservative schedule and after a cycle of two, if you are recovering well and want to increase volume, then add a session. Let's keep stretching questions in the relevant course sub-forums.