This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Pike Walk: MN/PE5>iM - Distance between feet and hands in top position

Started by Luzian Scherrer, August 25, 2016 · 6 Replies · 99 Views

Luzian Scherrer

I find the "pulling back up" part of the Vertical Pike Walk (MN/PE5-iM) pretty challenging, especially as I get higher with the feet and the distance between the hands and the feet narrows down. The distance at the top position in the original course video was just one rung in between, but the new video below the original one shows a much wider distance. What should one aim for?

If I aim for "Moderate discomfort is acceptable; do not work too hard" as the focus point says then I have to leave three or probably two rungs in between feet and hand. On a small spaced stallbar like in the original course video that is.

Everett Carroll

Follow the advice of the focus points and do not go beyond moderate discomfort. Post a form check that demonstrates you going to that point and we can tell you if you need to spend more time on it or not. 

Luzian Scherrer

Alright, here's me doing just that...

 

Alessandro Mainente

From my point of view another pole is required at least, for biggest results aim for 2 poles more.

Luzian Scherrer

What exactly is the point of this IM? Is it the pike position at the bottom or the strength that is required to pull back up?

I can go one pole closer and if I really have to I can also go two poles closer but then I need a lot more than moderate effort in the lats to pull back up with straight arms. And honestly I also fear breaking the stallbars :o 

Jon Douglas

Both. Sorry :)

Note the distinction between moderate *effort* and moderate *discomfort*. No one said you shouldn't be working hard when appropriate :D

Mark Collins

Both strength and mobility. My stall bars bend, so I know the feeling.