This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Several questions for our family

Started by Monica Stettler, August 24, 2016 · 6 Replies · 179 Views

Monica Stettler

Hi there!

Our whole family is doing GST (2x 50 yr olds plus 12 year old boy and 14 year old girl). I LOVE it!

I have a few questions:

1) Is it ok to do 2 stretch series back to back? ie do FSS then immediately MSS or TBS?

2) Does order of workout matter? ie does it matter if you do FL/PE1 before/after sPL/PE 1 and so on?

3) For counting reps... is left side then right side 1 rep or 2 reps? It seems that it is counted differently in different videos. Mostly curious so that I determine mastery correctly. For example, when doing Russian twists is 1 rep twisting to left and right or just to one side?

4) Deck squats - I initially had to use 2 inches of stacked mats to successfully complete the deck squats. To progress, do I work towards increasing reps first or reducing mat size first?

5) My children are both athletes. My primary goal in having them do GST is injury prevention. Secondary goal is improved performance. Given their sport training schedules, working in time for GST is challenging. My 14 year old daughter plays volleyball year round. Right now it is high school season and practice is 2 1/2 hrs, 5x per week (when there isn't a game) and sometimes a tournament on Saturdays. I would love for her to do all the Foundation progressions 1x per week and 2 stretch series per week. But I also don't want to overload her. Should Sundays be a complete day off or is it ok to do a stretch series on Sunday? What do you suggest for the best way to work in GST into her schedule?

Its basically the same story for my 12 year old son - he trains 5x per week cross country in the fall (+ some Saturdays), 5x per week wrestling (+ some Saturday tournaments) in the winter and baseball in Spring & Summer. Are there "best" days/times to work in GST and stretch into his schedule?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Monica Stettler Brozny

Everett Carroll

Hi Monica,

Glad to hear you all are enjoying it so much!

1)You can certainly double up the stretch courses. I sometimes do that myself. 

2) Order does not matter.

3) Unless it says per side, then it is total reps. Russian twists are 30 total.

4) Increase reps on the elevated surface, drop the surface you roll back on to a lower height, and repeat. 

5) We always advocate at least one full rest day per week. Recovery needs beyond that depend on the individual.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Monica Stettler

Thank you so much, Everett! I appreciate your speedy response and your helpful answers! - Thanks again!

Everett Carroll

Not a problem Monica.

Monica Stettler

I have a follow up question...... for the next couple months when the kids only have 1 day a week when they can do GST, what would you suggest would be more beneficial? A) All 7 Foundation progressions + 1 stretch, OR B) 2 stretch series back to back?

 

Thanks again!

Monica

Everett Carroll

I recommend doing F7 every time and then add a stretch course after.

Monica Stettler

Great! Thanks again!