This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A few questions on the front split series

Started by Daniel Miles, August 24, 2016 · 4 Replies · 180 Views

Daniel Miles

Hi all! 

1) I can almost reach palms to floor on standing pike if I curl the spine downwards like a Jefferson. If I try with a slight anterior pelvic tilt and knees lock its way more intense and my ROM is pretty bad.( can't even break parallel with torso)  Especially tightness in the back of the knee area with legs locked. This happens also with the seated stretches, pelvis tucking under causing lower back rounding. I've put two blocks under my sitting bones to help and it's still happens. 

2) is it okay to bend knees at any point?

3) if I can't make all of given reps like calf raises (super burning) should I  break them down into various sets or just do the maximum I can do for one set.

 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Until you get below parallel in the standing pike with locked knees, repeatedly bend and lock your knees for the duration of the set. Once you are below that point, you will always want to keep your knees locked.

If 60 calf raises is too many right now, then scale it down. There is no need to do multiple sets of each variation. 

Daniel Miles
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Until you get below parallel in the standing pike with locked knees, repeatedly bend and lock your knees for the duration of the set. Once you are below that point, you will always want to keep your knees locked.

If 60 calf raises is too many right now, then scale it down. There is no need to do multiple sets of each variation. 

Okay thanks, assuming you mean breaking parallel with anterior pelvic tilt and flat back? 

Do you think the tightness is due to hamstrings or Achilles? Difficult to say I guess 

Everett Carroll

Hard to say what the issue is without seeing it.

You don't need to have a flat back in the pike. At this point, don't overthink it too much. Just get a good stretch in. When in doubt, use the form shown in course videos. 

Alessandro Mainente

Spend some more time on stretching the calves especially all the straight legs variation.