How to fix my Posture?

Started by James Coppola, August 24, 2016 · 5 Replies · 4,302 Views

James Coppola

Something doesn't look right with my posture. Are there any exercises and or stretches to fix this? Keep in mind that I sit a lot and I have access to Foundation series and Handstand 1.  

Posture_2.png

Leo Trinidad

Hi @James Coppola,

I am no expert on postures. Maybe @Wesley Tan can help you more on this. But im sure Foundation Series and Handstand One will greatly improve your overall well being(strength, mobility, flexibility) as you progress along. :) 

Alessandro Mainente

Your posture it is actually altered:

-anterior pelvic tilt, probably tight hips flexor and weak abs and deep trunk flexor. tons of elbows plank

-kyphosis with shoulders tilted forward: first 2 exercise of handstand one trying to avoid any type of lower back compensation, first IM of front lever as a stable warm up, the following IM's of front lever in order to open the rib cage.

In your case I would consider the front split course to address hip flexor stretch and the T-spine to one your chest. I hope that your kyphosis it is due to bad posture and nothing involved with genetic 

James Coppola

@Alessandro Mainente I have always suspected that I had kyphosis, if it is due to genetics that will be a shame. In regards to strengthening my core and all it's internal and external muscles will planks help or should I include more core exercises such as hanging leg raises and oblique exercises? I know these exercises will be covered in Foundation but I would like to work on this issue now to fix it as soon as possible. I also experience pain in my mid and lower traps and I suspect this is due to my bad posture. Thanks for all your suggestions:) 

Alessandro Mainente

NOpe James, hanging legs lift will increase the deficit, some serious planche work (F1) and front lever work (F1) are so perfect to cure the lower back problems. I really cured many many many lower back pain with a simple hollow body holds, especially if they are a direct consequence of desk or driving work.

James Coppola

Okay thanks, I'm looking forward to my increased mobility and strength.