This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation 1 or Stretch Series after Fundamentals?

Started by Dennis Vos, August 23, 2016 · 3 Replies · 199 Views

Dennis Vos

Hi,

I started the Fundamentals series a few weeks ago after hearing the first podcast of Coach Sommer with Tim Ferris. For the past 12-18 months I've been struggling with lower back issues and hearing Coach Sommer speak of mobility and flexibility triggered me to buy the Fundamentals Series. I've got great results so far, got many good insights about my deficits (I basically feel tight in 80% of the exercises) but the progression has been great and I already feel much better.

Last week I purchased Foundation 1, I haven't started with this yet as I'm still practicing the workouts from the Fundamentals. In the second podcast of Coach Sommer with Tim Ferris I heard about the benefits of the Stretch Series. Now I wonder if I should start with the Stretch Series instead. My main goal for GST is to be pain free in my lower back (this impacts me on a daily basis) but now I've experienced how tight my  body is I realize there are no quick fixes and I'm committed to the full GST program.

What would you advise as my next step after Fundamentals?

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Dennis,

After Fundamentals, I highly recommend Foundation 1/GB Pro+ along with the stretch courses. This will maximize progress and provide both active mobility work, strength training, and passive stretching. 

Dustin Lord

Since alleviating back pain is your main concern, the Thoracic Bridge stretch course is a great place to start. Do that once a week along with your Fundamentals movements and that should help fix a lot of your back issues. Foundation One would also be good to start but if you have to choose between one or the other, start with Thoracic Bridge.

Remember that the stretch courses are very intense, so if you do get Thoracic Bridge or all three of them, go very light. Just being in the position is good enough, you don't have to push it.

Dennis Vos

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll start adding the Thoracic Bridge stretch course to my curriculum and see how things progress