This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Going from Sea-level to Elevation

Started by Carlo Romero, August 23, 2016 · 5 Replies · 81 Views

Carlo Romero

Do any of you have suggestions on adjustments to our eating plan in THIRVE while transitioning from sea level to elevation? For example, from Houston to Denver (about 1 mile above sea level). The issue I am focused on is handling the physiological stress on a short term basis - like for 1 week or a few days (i.e. less than the many weeks it would take for the red blood cell count in the body to adapt to the elevation, etc.)

It seems that the Thrive water goals would help keep a person hydrated and burning fat as fuel would mitigate glycemic crashes. However, in the past when I traveled to elevation from sea-level (admittedly, eating a diet that was pre-THRIVE compliant), I believe I noticed that my ability to train was reduced, my breathing rate increased, I craved sugars/carbs and whatever digestive or glycemic issues I had at sea level were magnified at elevation.

Any suggestions / tips from your experience? Especially those of you who maybe have to perform / compete / be active going from sea-level to elevation?

What about the consumption of beets or beet juice to help offset the change in oxygen saturation in the body? From what I have read, the nitrous oxide in beets helps re-saturate the body with oxygen and promotes endurance. I have tried various experiments with mixed results eating raw beets, steamed beets and/or supplements using beet extract.

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations/comments, thank you.
 

Everett Carroll

Going to 5,000 feet from sea level isn't going to put too much stress on your body. Listen to your body and don't worry too much about it. Continue eating well and drinking enough water and you will be fine.

Jeff Serven

You could put your purse down. Maybe thats whats getting in the way of your training?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Jeff Serven said:

You could put your purse down. Maybe thats whats getting in the way of your training?

Easy there, tiger. Break 'em in easy haha

Jeff Serven

Okay your right. I should have put a smiley face at the end of that one. 

Im just joking around Carlo, feel free to send a joke back my way. Its all in good fun. 

In my opinion there is nothing you can really do. After 3 weeks there you will be fine. If you are there for less just do your training and the altitude will add to the training effect. 

Carlo Romero

Thanks for the feedback Everett and Jeff. I am always game for being refocused on the essential, and if short term elevation effect on training is just a distraction, then I am happy to set it aside and get to back to work. I suppose my question could have been more specific to repetitive endurance exercises as compared to the GST training I have experienced so far in F1 and HS1 - only controlled tempo / isometric holds / bursts of explosive activity (and such training activities are minimally affected, if at all, at elevation).

In case I picked too "easy" of a destination in selecting Denver, would your response be any different in the case of higher elevations - 9,000 to 12,000 feet?

...and I was really hoping one of you might take me up on the beet / nitrous oxide topic . . . I fully appreciate that my persistence in asking many questions may earn me a spot on Jeff's "Suspect" list . .at least I didn't bring up the topic of the "oxygen cans" they sell you on the ski slopes...

In any event, I am looking forward to my next trip to the mountains post-Thrive.