This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daily Stretches to Help Sitting Pike?

Started by Jeffrey Bailey, August 22, 2016 · 2 Replies · 174 Views

Jeffrey Bailey

Hi all,

I have been doing the FSs for about 6 weeks and just threw MSs and TB into the mix. I am also a couple of months into F1.

I am finding that certain areas are very limber (any hip openers and shoulder extension, for example) which I am happy with. However, some other areas are very very tight; hamstrings, quads and adductors come to mind.

One position that I am having a hard time with specifically is sitting up straight in a pike position; even on a couple blocks. I tend to curl my lower back and understand that this is due to tight hamstrings, glutes and lower back. I know that this will be a gradual process. My question is, are there are any stretches in particular that I could work in on a more daily basis (I put a mat down when I watch TV and foam roll etc.) to loosen this area up a bit. It is effecting some of my foundations components as well (Straddle Up).

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey

 

Alessandro Mainente

yes you can especially ones where you are training one leg at time, they are pretty good for tight people.

  • hamstring: one example is doing the pike with your butt to the wall so that you can take of some tension from hamstring / calves, bend your leg and focus on one leg extension at time only until the point where you can breath normally and hold your ankle with the hands. 
  • quads:from the FS you can use the SE23 but instead a move directly with hips to the floor try to reach the wall with your upper back , then after 1 minute here move as in the video. if you want to isolate the quad only on one of the 2 joints involved by hips flexor.
  • do the straight leg calves of FP every days
  • for adductors i suggest side to side squats daily, in order to warm up move up and down from you horse stairs for 3-5 minutes.
Ali Mohammed

I noticed that it helps a lot to use a hard-ish foam roller first before doing the stretching or daily limber. Starting from the bottom of my feet, calves, legs, lowerback and abductors. Noticed that it helps me a lot. But only if I do it for like 30 seconds per body part. Specially after sitting down all day behind my laptop.