After listening to coach Sommer on The Tim Ferriss Show I decided GST is something I would be interested in trying. The problem is I'm not sure which program would be best for me. Hopefully after some background info one of you can point me in the right direction. I grew up playing hockey and football but now that I am 25 I find myself in a desk much more often than I would like. Nevertheless I still weight train a couple times a week and use Pavel Tsatsouline's protocol of less is better. My weight training consists of power/squat clean and jerk, deadlifts, front and orthodox squats. I keep my reps low to prevent injury and build strength. When I don't lift I run stadiums, sprints, agility drills and plyometrics a few days a week. This regimen has kept me strong and fast but stiff as a board in some areas. For example I have a full range of motion while squatting(butt between ankles) but can't even come close to touching my toes while bent over with my feet together and legs straight. To address my stiffness around a month ago I added 30 minutes of yoga every morning and night. My body has thrived with the introduction of yoga but I wonder if adding GST fundamentals or stretching to my routine would increase my chance of injury due to over training. I would be willing to trade the yoga for GST but would have a hard time giving up my strength/ speed training. Thus I have arrived at my question of should I start with the fundamentals or the stretching GST? Can I do these with my current regimen or would I have to cut out all other training?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Where to start and over training
Started by Alexander Ullmann, August 22, 2016 · 5 Replies · 154 Views
Hey Alexander, great questions and thanks for all the info. Start with Fundamentals as that will show you exactly which deficiencies you should address first. After finishing Fundamentals, moving into Foundation One is the next step. You will be able to keep all of the training that you love to do in your programming and train GST at the same time as it starts off very slow and basic. Slight scheduling modifications might need to be made as you progress but if you have any questions about that, feel free to ask.
Hey Dustin thanks for the info. I went ahead and purchased fundamentals should I be practicing these movements on a daily basis?
Perform each day's follow along lesson and then feel free to spend more time on the movements you need work on.
How often should I perform the movements I need work on? I'm guessing since the load is just body weight I can practice as often as I like?
Keep it reasonable for your current level. Coach Sommer goes into detail about the lack of sets/reps in the introductory article: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/fundamentals-introduction/