This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pseudo Planche Push Ups Struggles

Started by Daniel Miles, August 22, 2016 · 7 Replies · 416 Views

Daniel Miles

Hey!

 

ive been really struggling with HBP/PE3 I believe. My preparation strength wise has been fine during foundation as I've completed PE2 with relative ease. 

i just feel like I have no strength in this movement and struggle with 1 rep. I also feel some pain during the bottom of the movement when trying to press back up. I know my shoulders are super tight and lack internal rotation and extension so don't know whether that's an issue. I've purchased thoracic bridge stretch series to help with this. Is there anything I could do to bridge the gap between PE2 and PE3 or just exercises to help improve.?

thanks! 

Maksis Riley

The suggestion I would make are to post a form check of PE3. Did you post one for PE2? Without a doubt PPPu are a lot harder but if you found pushups relatively easy and these impossible to do even 1 I would imagine there was something missing in your previous preparation. Either that or you're just trying with too much lean to begin with. So you could try reducing that for now and increasing later.

 

How did you find the previous mobility on your shoulders? I think they can be overlooked a bit but they are fantastic overall mobility for shoulders; iM 1 and 2.

 

Max

 

Cole Dano

As Maksis mentioned, form checks can help us work out where your struggling with this.

An intermediate step would be to just lean less so that your elbows are over the wrist at the bottom, this is the transition point from regular push up to PPPu.

Daniel Miles
On 22/08/2016 at 5:30 PM, Maksis Riley said:

The suggestion I would make are to post a form check of PE3. Did you post one for PE2? Without a doubt PPPu are a lot harder but if you found pushups relatively easy and these impossible to do even 1 I would imagine there was something missing in your previous preparation. Either that or you're just trying with too much lean to begin with. So you could try reducing that for now and increasing later.

 

How did you find the previous mobility on your shoulders? I think they can be overlooked a bit but they are fantastic overall mobility for shoulders; iM 1 and 2.

 

Max

 

Hey Max,

here is a form check of my PPPu, obviously cant get required range yet. I was told to work on range before anything else that's why i've kept failing with increased lean.

Here is also one of mastery set on PE2

 

Randeep Walia

That's pretty good for PPP. Obviously you will need more lean for the real thing but, for now I would work on more protraction at the top of the rep (and more glute squeeze to accompany it), and slower your descent to really work on maintaining that protraction as much possible

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Daniel Miles, 

You need more protraction and posterior pelvic tilt on your PE2. You need to lean more on your PPP and make sure that you don't look down so that you can do it full ROM.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

For pseudo planche push ups, other than what has already been mentioned...

So that your body develops the additional tricep pressing strength needed for pseudo planche push ups with your hands closer to your hips...

With your push ups, you need to keep your elbows closer to your sides. If you watch the course video for more detail cues you will notice the gymnasts externally rotates his upper arms as he presses his body upward. Keeping your elbows closer to, yet not pressing into, your sides forces you to externally rotate your upper arm and in turn continue to develop your tricep pressing strength. 

Daniel Miles

okay thanks guys been working on all of that work and it's been coming along slowly but nicely! I'm in it for the long run so want to prepare my body in the best possible way!