This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1>iM ROM issue

Started by Jeff Johannsen, August 22, 2016 · 7 Replies · 165 Views

Jeff Johannsen

Hello-

I am new to the forum as a poster (1st post) but have searched numerous times and love the camaraderie and community that it represents.  It is reassuring to know that there are other frozen "desk duty" soliders out there like me looking to reverse the damage I've inflicted on my body over the years.

I am hoping for some feedback on a range of motion issue I am having with the standing windmill.  When I have the weight in my right hand, I am able to do the mobility as demonstrated in the videos and have made gains.  However, when I have the weight in my left hand and am reaching with my right hand, I am unable to get to the ground and feel restricted vs. free.  Is there anyone else that has had this disparity in their range of motion, and if so what can I do in addition to the mobility to work on it?  I purchased front split and am in my 3rd week as well.

Thank you and I appreciate any feedback!

Jeff

Cole Dano

It's very common to have right vs left differences. 

A move like the windmill has so much going on that it's not possible to say exactly what the issue is with what info you've provided, putting up a form check video and a bit more description would help the mods suss out what going on.

IN general with these sorts of issues the first strategy I try is simply to watch, feel and compare what's happening on one side vs the other. Try to find where the hitch in the movement is, and look on the other side, why isn't it there. What's tight, what's different, not moving the same etc..

Jeff Johannsen

Cole-

Thank you for the feedback.  Is it better for me to post the form check as a reply to this thread, or am I better off posting it in the form check section of the forum?

Cole Dano

You can use this tread and ask for a mod to move it to Form Checks, or start a new one in Form Checks.

Katerina Sourkova

Hello @Jeff Johannsen fellow "desk warrior" :) In which part of your body do you feel the restriction?

I have the similar sounding problem but on the opposite side. I normally do a little warm-up routine before doing the Mana progression - hip circles with your legs slightly wider than hips, then a couch stretch to try pull the top of the femur to the front of the socket (sitting down for days makes the softer tissues around the socket settle in that position and create restriction), side to side lunges and some gentle hamstring stretch. Literally 5 reps of each, just to warm up and mobilise the hip joints a little bit...

Jeff Johannsen

Thank you for the tip Katerina.  I'll be sure to give that a try!   I feel the restriction in my right hip.  I notice at full extension my right hip is in front of my left, almost as if it is shifted or twisted counterclockwise.

Jeff Johannsen

Hello

Here is a video link showing the issue I discuss above.  To be specific, I feel tightness (not pain) as I get to the end of the range of motion.  The tightness is mostly in my hip and inner thigh.

This is my first form check post, and I'm doing it on a mobile phone.

If the link didn't post or I did this incorrectly please let me know!

Thank you for your help here!

 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-upULxXUfIg&feature=youtu.be

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Jeff, 

GST takes times and dedication, specially as adults the body has tightened up over time. 

I like the placement of your feet, making sure your back foot is turned out, nice job on that. Your legs can be a bit closer together, to help with the inner leg tightness. The shoulder will take time to open up, your goal is to do the full rotation of the shoulder keeping the wrist stacked on top of the shoulder. This will take time and be patient with your body as you work through it and focus on keeping that wrist stacked right on that shoulder! 

Looking forward to seeing your progress.