This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming H2 after completion of H1

Started by Tony Sorensen, August 22, 2016 · 2 Replies · 178 Views

Tony Sorensen

Not sure where to post this as it covers my whole current interaction with the HS curriculum but I just wanted to get some feedback on my plans for programming HS workouts post H1. So hopefully this is the right place (as I didn’t want to create multiple threads)!

All being well this is my last cycle tidying up H1/SE14 and I have been thinking about how my weeks will look in future. I currently work a handstand heavy schedule with 1xF7, 1xT1, 2xH1/HBP/H3 & 2xH2 per week with all three stretch series linking in after handstand days. My standard warm-up ends with several linked short SE sets (working 10 x shrugs to 10x full to straddle HS then into 10x full to tuck HS) and then full HS holds for time and bodyline review.  On press days I have been using the last cycles deload week for HS practice prior to H2 work (currently 5x36s) just to keep the volume up and the form tight. Now H1 is all but complete I intend to readjust the programming to allow hopefully a second foundation day with 3 x H2/HBP/H3 days. Anyway enough background, now the questions!

  • ·         I can now do 5x120s as per H1/SE14 and wondered just how much of that I should carry forward into future warm-ups? I had seen 1x60s mentioned but that feels low compared to my currently weekly volume – am I worrying too much about nothing? I’d thought about following the endurance HS work of the H3 SE’s after my H3 work (build to a total of 120s), would that work also?

  • ·         Clearly my priority now is all things press – is there any value to playing with short sessions of full press HS (say 5x1r) after all work sets are completed?

  • ·         Similarly, I’d like to integrate press from the floor rather than from pbars – can anyone see a problem with putting a conservative couple of sets of pHS/PE8 on floor in the warm-up? Is there anything I should watch out going to the floor in terms of technique?

  • ·         My current problem is compression endurance on pHS/PE9 past 5x3r, my form just falls to crap in those last sets of week 7 (e.g. last session 3/3/3/2/2).  In addition to additional compression work from the MN series I have been waiting a short while after the failed set and making the total number up with single reps – if I do this the form is acceptable (although not set 1 / rep 1 perfect) so if feels worthwhile but progress here is slow. Is this worth continuing or am I just wasting my time/energy?

If you got this far thank you – if you can give me any help on any of these then thanks even more!

Alessandro Mainente
  •  for your future warm up you should do:

1) 60 seconds free hs

2)60'' pbars hs

3)last IM of H1

4)arch to long hollow

5)15-20 kg dislocates

this is enough for your warm up

  • you are welcome to play with press if your technique it is good
  • of course you can try to put some reps from the floor if you want
  • for the compression you should increase the 90° pancake depth and active strength in this position. the less you have tension on the opposite muscles the less energy you have to spend to hold the position actively. 
Tony Sorensen

Awesome, thanks Alessandro ( I should just have that as my signature)! You've saved me a lot of experimenting!