Should I start with Front or Middle Split?

Started by James Orr, August 21, 2016 · 2 Replies · 2,339 Views

James Orr

Hi everyone.  I've followed GB on social media for years , but Tim Ferris' podcast with Coach Sommer convinced me to really start one of the stretching courses.  

One of my new years resolutions was to be able to do a nice pancake.  I usually need to sit on a foam roller to have a neutral spine when I practice them after a workout.  So that's a movement I'd love to be able to do.  However, I also have a decent butt wink when I squat and have had some lower back soreness for the past two months after adding a 20 minute row in twice a week.     

My hamstrings and adductors are both tight, so I know I'd benefit from both series.  However, I want to start gradually and only do one right now.  My debit card thought that was a good idea, too.  I was wondering which you'd recommend starting with?  I'll copy my weekly workout schedule below to give you an idea  about the type of activity I do, just in case it's relevant.

Thanks for your thoughts!

 

Mon - Back squat, snatch, dip

Tues - 20 minute row, 20-30 pull-ups

Wed - Turkish getups, deadlift, military press

Thurs - Rest (this is the day I'd stretch)

Fri - 20 min of KB snatch or row, 20-30 pull-ups 

Sat - Front squat, clean and jerk, dip

Sun - Rest

 

 

Everett Carroll

I recommend the Front Split Series. Pike mobility is usually the first best thing to work on when beginning. 

James Orr

Front Split it is then.  Thanks, Everett.