This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Red meat vs white meat

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, August 21, 2016 · 3 Replies · 122 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all! I have a question to clarify myself about this topic about meat. If I got well both white and red meat can be included in our diet.

I read that meats like veal,  pork, lamb, goat, turkey and rabbit can be considered as white meat, while others like boar, beef, buffalo, goose are to be considered as red meat. Correct me if I'm wrong, because not everywhere they are classified in this way...

Both kinds have their own differences and benefits, but I read somewhere on the web that it should be better to eat read meat no more than 2 times a week. Is it true? this should not be a problem for me, since I eat pretty much white meat, but is this something I have to care about?  I don't know anything about drak meat frequency as well...

Thanks to all!

 

Julien Le Nestour

My 2 cents on this :-)

Red/white meat is not that fine-grained distinction, but if we make it then it's probably more like:

  • red meat: beef, lamb, bufalo, goat
  • white meat: veal (though depends on definition), pork, turkey, rabbit, goose
  • game/venison: boar, deer, etc. are in a class of their own for me

It's true red and white meats brings different nutrients to the table. I have a slight preference for good quality red meats since they bring healthy fats with them, but the way I see it I approach the topic as 1) quality first then 2) variety.

Basically, diversify your intake among the good quality meats you have access to. For example, chicken brings its own nutriments different from lamb, but if all you have access to is factory-farmed chicken and grass-fed lamb, then I would not touch the chicken simply to diversify, but would only eat lamb.

So my approach would be: look at the wild/grass-fed/pastured meats you can find, and get as much diversity within that range, but avoid including poor-quality meats just for the sake of diversification.

Not sure if this is the official word though ;-)

Jeff Serven

Its the official word. Nice post

Julien Le Nestour

Great! :-)