This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sitting Position Restriction - Podcast with Tim Ferriss

Started by Cody Lucas, August 21, 2016 · 7 Replies · 274 Views

Cody Lucas

Hey all,

In the recent podcast with Tim Ferriss, Coach Sommer discusses (@ 33:02) how certain people have restrictions that prevent them from sitting on the floor with legs straight (or in a straddle position) and being able to sit up straight. He mentions the cause being tight glutes, back, and hamstrings. This tightness causes them to slouch in the sitting position. Coach mentions sitting on a yoga block to be able to get the body into a proper position. 

Well folks, I am one of these people. Even with multiple yoga blocks I am unable to sit properly without a slight slouch. I've seen a lot of progress on my hamstrings with J-curls which I've been really excited about. So my question is, what exercises in Foundation or the Stretch Series address this? And is there a weighted mobility exercise that someone who is extremely tight such as myself could do that would provide similar benefits to a J-curl? If not, where is a good place to start? Ideas for supplemental work?

I have every series except the Middle Split series, is that where the answers lie?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Cody after looking to your problem probably also your groin is very tight. exercises which help your problem are addressed in:

-foundations manna progression

-stretch courses: front split and middle split.

Cody Lucas
On 8/21/2016 at 3:01 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Cody after looking to your problem probably also your groin is very tight. exercises which help your problem are addressed in:

-foundations manna progression

-stretch courses: front split and middle split.

Hey Alessandro! You must be a psychic to be able to predict another man's groin tightness haha Thanks for the advice! I bought Middle Splits and will be giving it a try. I'm still on Manna PE1 + iM1 because I cant fully extend my legs in PE2. I've been holding at the top of the reps in PE1 to work on compression and feeling increased mobility in my hamstrings from iM1. Hopefully it will all come together soon! 

Alessandro Mainente

Also how is you IM1 on manna? do you have a video?

Cody Lucas
On 8/24/2016 at 1:08 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Also how is you IM1 on manna? do you have a video?


Here is one I made today. During the right side of this iM I feel groin tightness and tightness on the inside of the knee. At the end of the video I have a clip of me trying to sit in a normal position so you can see my back rounding. 

Alessandro Mainente

As I was suspecting you have to more more on IM1, try to move body more down and move your lower hands deeper in between the legs.

Cody Lucas
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

As I was suspecting you have to more more on IM1, try to move body more down and move your lower hands deeper in between the legs.

Thanks Alessandro! I'll practice this and post an update video soon. 

Tanya Hill

Glad we were able to help Cody. Looking forward to your next video.