This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE7—first time handstand by the wall

Started by Suzanna McGee, August 21, 2016 · 15 Replies · 209 Views

Suzanna McGee

I've been scared of being up and down all my life. That's why I decided to do this HS training, to get over it once for all...

Here is my first try for PE7 that's going to be my next weeks' work. When I was by the wall, I felt like I am going to tip over in any second (the fear was kicking in like crazy). That's why I didn't dare to get closer to the wall. Looking at the video, I see how far I was, and there is no way I can tip over. Wow. Revelations. My body and mind was telling me something completely different out there in the middle of action. 

I suspect I need to get much closer to the wall to get it correct according to this PE7 description? Also, anything else I should think about so I don't practice it wrong way? Thank you for all your tips and pointers.

PS

As a 6-feet (182 cm) tall lady, should I have something else to thing about (sort of height related?)

 

 

Everett Carroll

Great work Suzanna! I'm stoked you got over your fear and you look solid! The previous PE's really paid off. For now just focus on getting your hands a little closer to the wall and keeping your body tight and extended. 

Suzanna McGee

@Everett Carroll Thank you so much, coach. I will do!!!

Katerina Sourkova

That's looking great Suzanna, well done :) And you know what, after you've done it 10 times and get used to being upside down, you'll find your confidence levels soar, and naturally get closer to the wall. Meanwhile, do you have a friend at the gym? Only because you're strong enough to hand-stand for quite a long time, just for the craic get them to stand by you ready to push your legs back into the wall if you start to go, and see how close you can walk your hands in? I bet you'll be surprised :)

Suzanna McGee

@Katerina Sourkova thank you!!!! And what a great advice. I will keep working on it and getting less "scared"… and when I dare to ask somebody to spot me (I mean, dare to get much closer to the wall), I will do it. I will mentally prepare for it. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow, I have a day off from GST, even though I have other training planned. 

Jon Douglas

Give em hell :D

Julia Quigley

Way to go!! If you haven't already, you might practice rolling out of your handstand from (tucking your head, lowering your arms, and rolling to sitting). Once I did that a couple times on my head stand, I was no longer scared of tipping over because I knew how to do it safely.

Suzanna McGee
4 hours ago, Julia Quigley said:

Way to go!! If you haven't already, you might practice rolling out of your handstand from (tucking your head, lowering your arms, and rolling to sitting). Once I did that a couple times on my head stand, I was no longer scared of tipping over because I knew how to do it safely.

@Julia Quigley That's a great idea. I have never done that. Didn't even think about doing it. It makes sense… I will try that!

@Katerina Sourkova Today I walked myself much closer to the wall (still no spotter, so not completely close to the wall), but I was definitely within those 6–12 inches as suggested in the exercise description. It didn't feel as scary as last time, yay.  But my core feels definitely shaky and unstable, so I will keep working on that. 

Katerina Sourkova

Brilliant progress! Way to go :) Post a vid so that we can see the difference if you want?

Practicing rolling off is a very good idea indeed... Sadly I'm not one of those people who when in a scary situation instinctively go into fetal position. No idea why, but I go into a plank! So when I try to roll off backwards I either a) am too curled up and land on the back of my neck and knee myself in the face, or b) am too straight so smack flat onto my back. Having a couple of mats piled up behind helps - I guess that's the sign that more practice is needed :D Because imagine when you're showing off your handstand walks outside (will happen one day!) at least you'll be confident about escaping!

Matt Robinson

A good way to get your confidence in the rollout, is to get a climbing bouldering mat (crash mat) and simply start hands planted on the floor just in front of it and literally start by doing a forward roll onto it, making sure you tuck your head under an land smoothly on the back of your shoulders. Then progress to kicking up and over with torso straight but piked at the hips, which gives you a better feeling of being over your hands. Then progress to kicking up with straight legs into a handstand for a split second and then control yourself down into a forward roll out of that. Once you've done that a few times onto a nice soft mat, get into your wall handstand and get someone to bring the mat in for you to roll out onto. Just spending a session doing this, will get you enough confidence to then try rolling out onto a regular mat. Once you've got the nack, it will take all the stress out of the wall handstand.
That's just something I use with my gym goers to get over their fear of rolling out. Then get them back to the wall asap.

Suzanna McGee

@Katerina Sourkova I think I feel like you, not too round and soft in my back. But now being aware of it, I will focus on being round and soft, and also adopt @Matt Robinson's tips. They are great, Matt, thank you! I don't have a crash mat right now, but a few weeks ago I ordered a 5-inch crash mat for my pole, a round one, and in a few weeks it should be here. They have many loose mats in the gym's outdoors area, maybe I can put a few on a top of each other. I'll experiment with it. I believe that once I experience rolling out of the handstand (and it probably won't be too bad or scary), I won't worry anymore. Fear is a weird thing. Completely illogical  :-) Katerina, I will make another video today…  

Katerina Sourkova

Nice tip @Matt Robinson I'm due to do the thoracic course later in the week at the gym, will have a play then

Suzanna McGee

Five days later and I dared to walk myself closer to the wall… (you can see in my walk that I am still a bit scared, huh? lol) … I measured it, my palms are about 8.5 inches away from the wall. Funny is that when I am in the handstand, I feel soooooo close to the wall, and looking at it now… not that much. I will keep practicing.

@Everett Carroll is this distance fine for PE7? I will obviously spend a lot of time here on PE7 because I do not feel strong and comfortable yet, but just want to make sure that I do it right. 

@Katerina Sourkova and @Matt Robinson  I still haven't figured out how and where to practice on my roll-out from the handstand… it will happen too, sometimes soon. 

PS

What a "graceful" exit from my handstand  :-) :-) 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Looks good Suzanna! Take your time here. It will pay off in the end. 

Suzanna McGee

@Everett Carroll Thank you! I definitely will stay here for a while, until I feel strong and comfortable, which is not the case right now  :-) 

Matt Robinson
On 24 August 2016 at 6:37 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

@Katerina Sourkova I think I feel like you, not too round and soft in my back. But now being aware of it, I will focus on being round and soft, and also adopt @Matt Robinson's tips. They are great, Matt, thank you! I don't have a crash mat right now, but a few weeks ago I ordered a 5-inch crash mat for my pole, a round one, and in a few weeks it should be here. They have many loose mats in the gym's outdoors area, maybe I can put a few on a top of each other. I'll experiment with it. I believe that once I experience rolling out of the handstand (and it probably won't be too bad or scary), I won't worry anymore. Fear is a weird thing. Completely illogical  :-) Katerina, I will make another video today…  

Any big soft mat will do it. Getting confident in rolling out will make a world of difference to your practice and will take all the stress out of it.