This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to pick a physio

Started by Julia Quigley, August 20, 2016 · 7 Replies · 250 Views

Julia Quigley

Hello!

As some of you might have seen in various posts, I've been rehabbing my shoulder for a few months, and it is not getting better. According to an ultra sound today, I have inflammation/tendonosis in my bicep tendon and subscapularis tendon. It also looks like I have a tear in my pec major tendon :(

For a variety of reasons--I think it might be time for me to move on to a new physio so I can get better and get back to training. 

It seems like I'm not the only one posting here with issues, aches, and concerns. Often, the community have fabulous suggestions, but the recurring theme is "seek a professional in person/a good physio will be able to help you."

My question for all the experts here is, how do we find good physios? I'd love to know if there are specific certs or key phrases/concepts I should be on the hunt for (or any red flags I should be wary of). 

Also, if anyone knows any great physios in the Washington, DC/Northern VA area...I'd love the specific recommendations as well!

 

Giovanni Garcea

Julia Quigley

Thanks Giovanni, this is a great help!

@Mark Collins, I'd like to know more the electro therapy comment. Is that kind of therapy that bad, or is it the idea of having someone hook you up and walking away, or is it the idea of having that alone be your treatment?

John Tarpoff

Hi Julia,

Ideally you want someone well versed in soft tissue treatment as well as connective tissue injury and recovery. 

Fascial Distortion Model, Active Release Technique - are examples of coursework providers may be versed in..

check out their central websites for providers that may be in your area. 

 

Carlo Romero

@JuliaQuigley - one of the branded names for this Fascial Distortion Model / myofascial release, if I am not mistaken, is Airrosti. They are nation-wide network and have linked up with the Crossfit community - they maybe an easier one for you to find a provider in the DC area; however, at least in Houston, I have found other professionals who can use similar techniques (or were trained in similar models) and charge less for the treatment than Airrosti providers.

When I was living in DC area, there were some Muscle Activation Technique Specialists (MAT) that I saw that helped with some training pains. It is a different approach than a physio, but I believe there is overlap; I am sure there are folks better versed on the forum that can advise you on this than I can.

Nevertheless, happy to share further if you are interested in swapping stories on rehabilitative therapy experiences with MAT and Airrosti (and Egoscue Method).

Eva Pelegrin

HI Julia,

I hope summer is going well. Sorry to hear that your shoulder is still bugging you!
I can share two links where you can find an excellent physio in your area:
http://www.grayinstitute.net/locator/
https://www.functionalanatomyseminars.com/find-a-provider/

I personally have several accreditations in both certifying bodies and I highly recommend practitioners which such credentials because they're a gifted community of PTs, osteopaths, physios, as well as movement-based chiropractors, bodywork & movement therapists and coaches like myself. :D

You will be in good hands!

Best,
Eva

 

Julia Quigley

Thanks, @John Tarpoff, @Carlo Romero, and @Eva Pelegrin! These are some great leads.

I'm all about soft tissue manipulation, but hadn't heard of all these practices/certs. The guy I've been seeing does Active Release Therapy very well and I'd like to continue that, or something like that, with my next practicioner. 

And thank you, Eva, especially for your hearty recommendation. I feel a bit like I've gone through a breakup and blind dates are scary. seeing someone in your community is kind of like dating a friend of a friend :lol:

Julia Quigley

In case it helps anyone else, I'll share some additional info I came across for finding a good physio. 

I came across a physio based in LA, Jennifer Crane, that specializes in circus artists and other performing artists (she even worked with the Chinese diving team for this year's Olympics!). Anyway, since I train in the flying trapeze, I emailed her to see if she had any referrals for my area. She did not, sadly, but she did point me in the direction of this blog post she wrote that gives her guidelines for finding a good physio. While her audience is circus artists, it's sound advice for gymnasts, martial artists, and anyone pushing their body to their highest capability like we're trying to do!

Her advice definitely lines up with Mark Collin's information as well as the recommendations for soft tissue specialists already mentioned, but she also discusses other certifications that have helped me tremendously in sorting through my options. 

She also gave some specific questions to call and ask before coming in--which now seems obvious; why hadn't I thought of that? haha. I've already got a couple leads, and I'll make selections based on the answers I get :) Hoping to report back positively soon!