This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ligament Disorder

Started by Garrett Garman, August 19, 2016 · 2 Replies · 82 Views

Garrett Garman

I've just started the Fundamentals and in many of the videos they mention many people starting out will have very limited mobility but I'm at the other side of the spectrum. I haven't be active for 4-5 years now but because I have an inherited connective tissue disorder, kind of like mild case of Marfan Syndrome. My disorder make me naturally very flexible. I'm worried that my flexibility and lack of ligament strength flexibility might cause problems or injuries. Is there any special recommendations for me or should I be fine following the program?

Thanks in advance!

Alessandro Mainente

Usually for people in your situation increase the mobility it is not recommended. By the way maybe a more professional opinion is necessary. I had some clients with joint laxity, they had some shoulders problems and we needed to reduce some movement like wide grip pullup.

Wesley Tan

Hi Gareth,,

Alessandro speaks wisely when he says that trying to increase mobility in your instance is not necessary.

If you can go beyond the ranges demonstrated in the videos, then don't do so. Thise with inherited connective tissue uniqueness like yourself need to work on stabilising the joints by building strength and control in the joint stabilizers.

Really forcus on controlling all the movements perfectly, strength will build with a focus on complete control and not pushing the mobility.

We have a student  whose shoulders can dislocate very easily and we take it very easy with shoulder flexion drills such as dislocates (she does not complete the whole movement).