Can I get a check on this? Tough to keep legs straight due to tight hamstrings (I think)!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jeffrey Bailey, August 19, 2016 · 5 Replies · 92 Views
Can I get a check on this? Tough to keep legs straight due to tight hamstrings (I think)!
It's a solid effort, but a couple of points to keep working on.
- You are coming up almost exclusively by spinal flexion, make sure that you are also sitting up from the hips, the top should feel more like sitting in a chair than it does for you now. This is the biggest thing to work on, though it will mean building up the flexibility requried to do it as well.
- This is more of an add on effect of the above, buy make sure to keep your knees straight.
Good stuff Jeffery. Could you explain what spinal flexion is please @Cole Dano . I will be doing these after I get MN/iM 1 tidied up.
I would be doing them like Jeff thinking it was going ok besides the slight bend in the legs, which I know I will have to work on as well.
Is the idea to come up with a straight back and pull the torso up with the hips if that makes sense?
Also is the reason for the legs bending due to lack of strength to pull up from the hips rather than a lack of flexibility of the hamstrigs?
If what I'm thinking is correct this is going to be a challenging element.
Thanks Cole, thanks Jeff.
@Wayne Grima spinal flexion is rounding or hollowing the back.
This element is a combination of spinal flexion and hip flexion, but the spinal flexion isn't 100%, more of an open hollow, and the hips need to come up enough that you are at least on the back of the sitting bones, sacrum off the floor.
The first suspect for bending at the knees at this level is going to be mobility, just because we want folks to focus on that anyway, but it's pretty normal to find legs/hips cramping up in order to maintain it as well, so there is definitely a strength componenet.
On 8/19/2016 at 3:49 PM, Cole Dano said:You are coming up almost exclusively by spinal flexion, make sure that you are also sitting up from the hips, the top should feel more like sitting in a chair than it does for you now. This is the biggest thing to work on, though it will mean building up the flexibility requried to do it as well.
Thanks, Cole!
Yeah, I am a few weeks into FSs and 1 week into MSs and TB. I am finding that I am very mobile in some areas (any hip openers and shoulder extension for example) and very very tight in others. My hamstrings are very tight; I can't get past 90 degrees in a Standing Pike without rounding.
I find that I can't sit up straight with my legs in front of me, and believe that the same muscles could be the culprit here. Any muscles specifically to work on loosening up?
Just keep working those stretch courses and the MN integrated mobility. It's the hamstrings.