This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T-spine extension & scar tissue

Started by Michael Pehl, August 19, 2016 · 2 Replies · 59 Views

Michael Pehl

Background: I've been seeing a physical therapist for a while now to address some spinal issues that have manifested into some pretty major right-shoulder disfunction. Ive been a member on GB for a while now, and I own Foundation-1, Handstand-1, and all three stretch series'. But before I really dove in, I've wanted to have a PT let me know if certain movements would be ok for me to perform. Luckily the PT I found is familiar with the GB programs. My PT recommended at this point that I put as much emphasis as I can on the thoracic bridge series. My T-spine is slightly curved (to the right) and extension is practically non-existent, and it severely limits my ability to go overhead (however only on my right side). Im 31 now, and between the ages of 0-2 I had a slew of surgeries on my heart (sternum scar) and my esophagus (front right side of neck scar), as well as a feeding tube scar below my bottom left rib. The PT believes that the scar tissue from these surgeries are what has likely caused much of my spinal issues. The scaring in the front limits my ability to extend the spine backward, essentially. Therefor also limiting shoulder mobility on the right side where the neck scaring is. (I can go full overhead no problem with my left arm.)

My Question: I know the stretch series' are only meant to be done once per week, but would it be ok for me to do some of the t-spine and shoulder extension movements from the Bridge series more often? Even at this point, there are some of the elements of the Bridge series that I am unable to perform (even the scaled-down versions). My shoulder overhead pressing is very weak since I've always avoided it. So is it ok to progress slowly through the thoracic bridge series as if it is its own program? Something like the way one would progress through Foundation, for example. Im getting ready to build a set of stall bars in my room to allow the best possible and hopefully safest progression into performing a bridge. I will concurrently use many of the MobilityWod tools as well for myofascial release on these areas. My PT believes that it will take a lot of time, and says at this point I should prioritize anything that emphasizes opening the t-spine, chest, and neck musculature.  

Thanks,

- Mike

 

Everett Carroll

I think you would benefit most by doing all of the exercises you can from the TB course, scaling as needed, once a week. Modify the workouts based on the recommendations of your doctor and be wary of introducing to much volume right away; starting with too little is better than starting with too much. If you are recovering fine,  and your PT approves, then consider adding extra stretching to the end of your workouts.

Michael Pehl

Good to know. Thank you! I agree as well that I'd rather start slowly and build gradually and safely. As I try and progress through F1 and H1 I like the idea of adding light stretching at the end of those workouts.