This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation Mixed with Stretching Series

Started by Justin Kaplan, August 18, 2016 · 10 Replies · 255 Views

Justin Kaplan

I am 3mos into the Foundation 1 series and interested in adding the stretching.  I had tried it a while back but the length of the sessions were hard to fit uno the schedule.  Any advice on the best way to program both of these and still have the ability to do some kind of running etc...

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on how many session you can have in a week. due to the great amount of work the best situation is perform the stretch series in separated days. actually how many time are you doing foundations?

Justin Kaplan

I am doing a 4 day week split.  Could change to 3 days then 3 days of stretching.  45min of stretching is quite a bit per session but I don't doubt that the program is excellent.

Luke Searra

Why not give 3 days per week a try Justin.

Justin Kaplan

Only reason for being hesitant it timing.  I like to keep my workouts simple and not too long.  Try to get movement throughout the day that is non exercise related.  If I have 3 days Foundation/3 days stretch makes it tough to add any type of running,jump rope, heavy bag (aerobic) activity which I haven't been doing much of to begin with.  The aerobic activity benefits the brain in ways the others don't.  Might give it a try and appreciate the feedback.  Would be great if could be cut down to 20-25min but completely understand if that takes away from the efficacy of it.

Leonhard Krahé

Another way to go might be doing only two stretch sessions per week (so you do each twice over three weeks), I  did so for scheduling and consistency reasons and had good results with that. Another option might be going to a 3-day Foundation split and stretch afterwards - the benefit of that would be you are really nice and warm for stretching from the F workout.

Justin Kaplan

Would it still work if I cut the sessions in half and spread between 2 days?  So 6 total stretch session per week?  This would make them roughly 20-25min each.  Or are they meant to be in a particular sequence?  

Patrick Rentz
1 hour ago, Justin Kaplan said:

Would it still work if I cut the sessions in half and spread between 2 days?  So 6 total stretch session per week?  This would make them roughly 20-25min each.  Or are they meant to be in a particular sequence?  

For me, for the most part the stretches in the middle/end of the sessions are more intense, so starting in the middle would be difficult. I'd guess they were designed that way, but not sure. It may become a better possibility once you're very flexible, but right now I couldn't imagine jumping right into some of the stretches that are in the middle of the progression.

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If you do the foundation training the way it's meant to be done, you'll get some aerobic activation. For example, FL/PE6, sPL/PE3, HBP/PE3, and RC/PE4 all on step 9 would smoke you pretty good. I'm not that advanced by any means, but I still feel many benefits. A three day split allows you to rest ample too.

Justin Kaplan

Ok, here is what I am going to do.  I purchased all 3 stretch series. Going to do Foundation1 3 x week with Stretch 3x week on other days.  Going to start each stretch session with some type of brief aerobic work.

Now, I did the first one today which was the Bridge Series.  Questions, if I don't have a stall bar what do I do?  Also, the handstand movements I could not even attempt to do.  Do I just skip?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Justin Kaplan said:

Ok, here is what I am going to do.  I purchased all 3 stretch series. Going to do Foundation1 3 x week with Stretch 3x week on other days.  Going to start each stretch session with some type of brief aerobic work.

Now, I did the first one today which was the Bridge Series.  Questions, if I don't have a stall bar what do I do?  Also, the handstand movements I could not even attempt to do.  Do I just skip?

Use a regression. I use a normal wall for wall walks. I use a radiator for the band curls (because that thing aint going anywhere). Look to the individual exercise videos for cues, regressions, and tips.