This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2 Form Check from Mastery Test

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, August 18, 2016 · 7 Replies · 124 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Now aside from these two clearly not being mastered. Are there any pointers? On the PE, my girlfriend noted my hips need to extend more, and I'd agree. My triceps were also shaking a bit, so clearly some endurance is needed. For the IM, it's pretty evident that I'm not yet at 90 degrees. I'm actively trying to open the chest out as I retract, depress and externally rotate the shoulder while maintaining PPT (it's still a lot to consciously activate), though my back does arch a bit once I raise the bar higher. So, to counteract this, should I a) keep the bar lower and maintain PPT, with a chest that's opened outwards, all the cues for my shoulders (depressed, retracted, externally rotated) until that becomes easier and slowly raise the bar? Or should I lower the weight to a degree that allows me to reach full ROM, with all of the focus points on form in place, and then gradually ramp up the weight? I'm inclined to keep the weight at 5lbs. as I feel like that best activates the shoulder, even if I can't hit full ROM right now, but I'd like to know others' thoughts and insights on my form check. Thanks.

 

PS: sorry for the dim lighting

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

As we stated many times the goal is rise the bar up to 90° and does not matter how much weight or how much narrow is the grip, you MUST LIFT TO 90°.

this means that grip and weight must be adjusted in function of the bar height and not vice versa. for this reason I assume that for you the actual grip and the weight it is too much in order to achieve the 90°. use 2 lbs and increase the hands distance until you can lift up to 90°.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks, I've got it. I must've missed that. Will lower the weight then and gradually ramp it up to 5lbs and beyond. What is a good end range for shoulder extension 15lbs (6.8kg)?

Alessandro Mainente

For mastery 5 lbs it is fine, as along therm goal no limit.

Daniel Cappetta
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

you MUST LIFT TO 90°.

this means that grip and weight must be adjusted in function of the bar height and not vice versa. 

Thanks. Saved me starting a new thread. One other question though, I roll my shoulders back and down at the start of the rep. Is this a bad scapula position?

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Daniel Cappetta said:

Thanks. Saved me starting a new thread. One other question though, I roll my shoulders back and down at the start of the rep. Is this a bad scapula position?

Not as long as this refers to scapular depression and retraction :) we use the terminology not to be pretentious but to provide a common frame of reference

Daniel Cappetta
11 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Not as long as this refers to scapular depression and retraction :) we use the terminology not to be pretentious but to provide a common frame of reference

Awesome, cheers mate.

Daniel Cappetta