This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 and PE1>im Finally Mastered?

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, August 17, 2016 · 18 Replies · 255 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, I posted on this a while ago, but for lack of trying to find that link I'm reposting my form check from today. This is my fifth set and I'm consciously working to keep my knees and feet together, my lower back arched, straight and upright, my chest following the weight and my elbows locked. I also am trying to ensure that I 'feel' the exercise in my obliques. I can easily say that I had at least another set of 30 in me after this one, if not two more. Let me know if there are any other pointers I could apply to improve upon this because for all intents and purposes I feel like it's mastered.

Cheers.

 

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

@Tanya Hill @Luke Searra @Everett Carroll Are these any improved from my last upload? Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

During the twist are you legs always together?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yes. The knees and feet start to want to drift apart at some points, seems to be when I twist to the right, but I keep them together by engaging/squeezing. I recall in the technical video that @Wesley Tan shot that that sort of deviation in the leg is normal if kept minimal, or, at least, is to be expected. 

Leo Trinidad

looking good @Daniel Taylor-Shaut just remember that refinement is a continuous process and as you progress and use this as a warmup it will get better. :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks @Leo Trinidad. Gonna say it's mastered then? It'll be moved to my warmup then as I work to solidify my lower body and my APT.

Wesley Pittman

Nice job man! Congrats on getting it down handily!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
47 minutes ago, Wesley Pittman said:

Nice job man! Congrats on getting it down handily!

Thanks. I've been trying to take more advantage of posting videos. I meant what good are all these forum coaches if we don't put them to work and make them judge our output, haha. Thanks for the congrats, by the way. The 2nd PE is what has and what does give me the most trouble. Been doing a couple of sets on off days and I've still got some room to improve on them. At least now I can give them my full attention.

Wesley Pittman

I tried doing PE2 earlier (by mistake when I was doing my initial mastery testing) and for me this issue was totally flexibility in the low back. I had the strength but couldn't do the curl without rotating the pelvis way too much so I feel you 100%. Congrats again!

Wesley Tan

Tempo and control are both good but for mastery you need to be leaning back 45 degrees with the trunk :) this will switch the abdominal muscles on throughout the set!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hmm. So, same tempo, the same level of control. Just a further lean back? Guess, more time is needed for this one then. I find the further I lean back the more likened I am to lose APT. Maybe that's the point. Welp, guess I'll give it a go with those adjustments in a little while and see how it fares. Thanks for the cues @Wesley Tan. I'd much rather take the time to do it right and fully master it than shoddily move up the progressions. 

Wesley Tan

No need to focus on ATP otherwise tbat will disengage your abdominals and obliques. Keep the pelvis neutral and tilt back from the hips, the purpose of the lean is to put stress on tge abdominals and the rotation further stresses the obliques.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
3 hours ago, Wesley Tan said:

No need to focus on ATP otherwise tbat will disengage your abdominals and obliques. Keep the pelvis neutral and tilt back from the hips, the purpose of the lean is to put stress on tge abdominals and the rotation further stresses the obliques.

Yeah, I did these again today. The 5x30 was still pretty easy. I tried to increase the lean to engage the obliques more, as per your first post, but also striving for APT. At some point, I think set 3 and 4, I felt sweet spot, where the obliques felt the "most work" and I felt my form was best, but then again, I'm not entirely sure at this point. 

If I'm not to engage APT as that shifts off the abs, how do I lean back without rounding? Because in a previous form check that seemed to be the forum coaches notes...

Everett Carroll

Correct 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Got it. Thanks. Will post a follow-up vid when I get to my SL training again either Friday (hopefully) or next Wednesday. Cheers.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, here's a follow-up. Sorry about my head getting cut off during the IM. Also, my knees and feet are together throughout the entire set (though they do sway a bit from side to side as I shift the dumbbell). How is this looking? This was my sixth set of 30 reps. Do I still need more lean yet? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, but, of course, I'll keep at it if that's what it takes.
 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

@Everett Carroll @Alessandro Mainente @Wesley Tan

Wesley Tan

Your degree of lean is much better Daniel! 

My only critique is it looks like you've gone from trying to hold ATP right to PPT. I am sure you have this mastered.

If I were with you I would have just pushed your lower back forward from behind, slightly :)

Wesley Tan

Without changing your degree of lean I meant